Thread: Advice on Transducer Placement

Advice on Transducer Placement

Just bought a new fishfinder to replace the one that came with my boat. Its a garmin 5dv. Wondering if you guys had any advice on transducer placement. I have a 19' cuddy cabin. Thanks!

If it worked before, I would mount it in the same place as the old transducer.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I just picked up a stern pad. A foam pad that sticks to your transom that you can drill your transducer screws into, so you won't have to put any more holes in your transom. Supposed to withstand over 200lb pressure...like 25.00 on Amazon. I'm gonna try one. www.sternpads.com

Quote Originally Posted by mothership View Post
    If it worked before, I would mount it in the same place as the old transducer.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I just picked up a stern pad. A foam pad that sticks to your transom that you can drill your transducer screws into, so you won't have to put any more holes in your transom. Supposed to withstand over 200lb pressure...like 25.00 on Amazon. I'm gonna try one. www.sternpads.com
    Pretty genius! I wish I had done this! Your fishfinder manual will give you a good idea on the best location. Usually as close to your outdrive you can get without interference. and it should just hang below the bottom of transom.

Those pads look interesting, and only $25 (but I wouldn't hold my breath)

I tried something similar a few years back, but it was essentially a mini cutting board epoxied to the hull. It lasted for awhile and then blew off one day, ruining my transducer. I ended up switching to a through hull transducer on my 17'. It works much better and I maintain readings at high speed; the temp readings are that of the bilge - but temp readings are only surface water readings anyway.

My 23 has the transducer on the transom; if I have any problems with it, I'll change it to a through hull as well

With a right hand prop, it is better to have the transducer on the starboard side. Tyler is right - follow the instructions on the manual
    1978 17' Runabout - AQ120B/270
    1978 23' Cuddy

i use a airmar p79 and shoot through the hull, no holes through the boat and can't get knocked off

http://www.airmar.com/uploads/brochures/p79.pdf