Thread: Greetings

Greetings

Hello all,

I wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself as I am new to the forum. As my forum name implies, I am currently living in Kodiak, Alaska. I am a transplant to Alaska from Michigan and moved up here 13 years ago and have lived in Eagle River, Sitka, Soldotna, King Salmon, and now Kodiak. My job as an Alaska State Trooper allows me to move around the state to different duty locations. I owned a North River Jet boat while in King Salmon and ended up selling it before moving to Kodiak just for the main fact that is was not an ocean boat. I have now been in Kodiak for 3 years and have been boatless. One thing I knew right away moving to Kodiak, if there is one place that you should have a boat, this is it.

I am happy to say that I am in the final stages of buying a '77 28 Glasply flybridge with a 3208 Cat and straight shaft. (GPY28016M77G) I believe the boat is already registered on this forum page? The boat is in great shape and seems to be mainly untouched since '77. As soon as I take possession I plan on cleaning, upgrading, and updating the boat to my liking. I am confident that I could take the boat out tomorrow and I would feel safe and have no issues, but thats just not the way I am. I want to bring this thing back to tip top shape. It has a cracked window here, a broken venturi visor there, the bottom needs to be cleaned and re-painted, but nothing a little elbow grease and TLC won't take care of. The interior is in good shape, but just needs to be dragged out of 1977!

In looking at an old survey, it looks like this boat was bought in Orcas Island, WA in 2005 and was shipped to Alaska. Before 2005, I am not sure the history of the boat. Once in Kodiak, the boat worked as a charter boat for a local Lodge and charter operation. It was then sold around 2014 - 2015 to the current owner. He bought it as a boat for his family to go out on and is just not using it as much as he thought he would. The Cat diesel set up is not to break any speed records in this boat, but Im ok with that. These days I am more about fuel efficiency, reliability, and comfort while out on the water. My North River had a 502 cubic inch big block mated to a Hamilton 212 jet pump. At 450 hp it would pass everything but the gas pump....and at $7.00 a gallon in King Salmon, lets just say I didn't get to go out as much as I would have liked. I am past those days and not willing to have a boat only to not be able to afford fuel. The 28 comes with a 2005 Magnum 16,000 triple axle trailer that was purchased for it before shipping it to Kodiak.

Since this forum helped me so much in my decision to go with a Glasply, I plan on posting threads of my own on my "build". I knew nothing of Glaply before seeing this 28 for sale down in the harbor. After hours of reading threads, looking at builds, and learning about Glasply, I knew I had to buy this boat. I will work on figuring out how to post photos for everyone to enjoy

Thanks to everyone that has posted build photos and threads of their own boats They all have been extremely helpful. I am excited to get my boat and get going. Stay tuned....

Welcome aboard, as a 28 owner I know a lot about the journey you're about to embark on. I bought mine in 2005 and looked yours over when it was for sale by a gentleman from Tacoma who sold it eventually to a party on Orcas Island. Was in reasonably good condition then but just wasn't what I wanted due to being a single engine boat. If you need information on a 28 you've come to the right place, as most of the 28 owners due all there own work. You bought a boat that is well constructed, handles rough seas very well and will bring you home safely every time. Thank you for the job you do, when it comes to Law Enforcement I'm a big supporter and appreciate what you guys do.
    Last edited by Bill V; 06-17-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy your new GP.

Thanks for reaching out to the Forum and welcome!!

Dan, welcome to the Glasply world, you will love your 28. I have a single engine 28 as well. You have stumbled on the right place for info and advice, kinda like family on this site. Looking forward to hearing from you!

I finally took possession of my 28 on Tuesday! Since it has been sitting in the Kodiak Harbor for two solid years, first order of business was to pull it out of the water, scrape the bottom, new zincs, and bottom paint. There were a lot of unwanted critters that wanted to hitch a ride on the bottom and rudder! These 28's look big in the water.....and even BIGGER out of the water! WOW!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0237.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	5845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	5846
    Last edited by KodiakDan; 07-01-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Dan,

Welcome again to the forum. The boat will clean up well. GP gel coats are very durable. The grass and barnacles will come off. While it's on the hard, take a close look at the prop, shaft and rudder for any sign of electrolysis. The PO of my 28 did not keep up with zinc replacement and replaced two shafts following the survey when I bought it.
    That is really a near perfect boat for Alaska. Lots of them went up there from the factory, including hull number one, a 1976 mid- cabin.
    "Few men during their lifetime come anywhere near exhausting the resources dwelling within them. There are deep wells of strength that are never used". Richard Byrd, naval officer and explorer
    1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" enjoying the late summer sun on Trinidad Island