Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salmon fishing on the GP

Nice job fish

Thank you sir, if your ever around and want to go fishing let me know, my GF only likes to fish once a week..

Thanks for the offer fish, but we are quite a ways away from one another. My 17' GP and I have been out a lot this year. But I finally broke my skunk a little over a week ago when I was out with my son-in-law, I limited and he only caught shakers for once.LOL

-
    Quote Originally Posted by 18ftTrophy View Post
    Thanks for the offer fish, but we are quite a ways away from one another. My 17' GP and I have been out a lot this year. But I finally broke my skunk a little over a week ago when I was out with my son-in-law, I limited and he only caught shakers for once.LOL
    Well if your down this way your welcome.

Just got back from 3 weeks out at Sekiu. Had a great time fished Canadian waters and stayed at Masons Olsons resort. I have been a regular out there for a long time. Caught a lot of fish, limits almost everyday we went out. Fished out on the border in the shipping lanes most of the time went in for Kings at Port Renfrew and wild Coho a few times but it was a complete zoo every time. The WDFW has a section for this fishery and it is easy to get a License on line for those areas in Canada. Starting tomorrow Oct 1st you can keep 1 wild Coho and 3 hatchery Coho per person in areas 20.1 - 20.4 in Canada. If it wasn't for the fact that I leave in a week for 4 weeks hunting Deer then Elk I would have stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Just got back from 3 weeks out at Sekiu. Had a great time fished Canadian waters and stayed at Masons Olsons resort. I have been a regular out there for a long time. Caught a lot of fish, limits almost everyday we went out. Fished out on the border in the shipping lanes most of the time went in for Kings at Port Renfrew and wild Coho a few times but it was a complete zoo every time. The WDFW has a section for this fishery and it is easy to get a License on line for those areas in Canada. Starting tomorrow Oct 1st you can keep 1 wild Coho and 3 hatchery Coho per person in areas 20.1 - 20.4 in Canada. If it wasn't for the fact that I leave in a week for 4 weeks hunting Deer then Elk I would have stayed.
    Running out of Sekiu to fish Canada? I havent tried that before, i know areas 3-11 are closed for Chinook now so we can only fish the silvers, do you stay up there or run out daily from Sekiu?

Sorry it took a while to get back. Yes fishing Canada from Sekiu is a great chance to still get out and fish for Coho and Kings. The Canadian inland waters License you can get on line covers Canadian Marine areas 2.1 - 2.4 I believe. from just west of Port Renfrew to about the East end of Vancouver Island. You can check on line for exact areas.
    On the 12th of this month there will be a Halibut forum in Montesano to set the Halibut Seasons in Wa. state if you can go and help get the point across about the season ( or lack there of) it would be a great help. The resort owners are really hurting and need some help. They don't want to extended the season or the number of fish caught increased they just want the dates changed to help them stay open and give more people the opportunity to catch fish. There are a number of them that may not make it another year if the seasons are left the way they are.

Something to keep in mind when fishing Canadian waters as a US resident having a Canadian salmon license you MUST clear customs and have the clearance number IF you drop anchor, step ashore (the reason doesn't matter) or for whatever reason get stuck in Canada because of weather concerns or breakdowns. Without a clearance number your boat will be seized and you'll be taken to Victoria Harbor to the customs dock where you'll be asked a zillion questions, your boat searched and you'll be fined a minimum of a $1000 Canadian to a maximum of $5000 Canadian. In late July after a non stop trip to the Swiftsure Banks and after fishing with intentions of then going to Neah Bay for moorage, I ran into such terrible rough water I decided to head for Port Renfrew. Sometime later I learned all about what I just told you about. Lesson cost me $1000 Canadian ($842 US) In the future I will call CanPass and clear customs by phone getting my clearance number. Just have your passport or a Washington enhanced driver's license with you when you call CanPass. If you don't and breakdown or get blown off the water you'll be an "Illegal Immigrant" and boat seized. In Canada illegal immigrants don't get free hospital care, drivers license, education or welfare. Just property seized and a bus ride to the border.
    Last edited by Bill V; 10-11-2017 at 02:18 AM.
    "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Yes very true if you set foot or anchor up in Canadian waters you have to call and register. But for us we would make the 7 to 15 mile run on average and catch our fish. And as my fishing buddies and I talked about it we fished about the same areas of the water as we always have just a 1/2 mile on the other side of the line. That is unless we wanted to burn more gas and go to Renfrew. But Bill is correct make sure you can get back to US waters or make that phone call to Canadian authorities. Have fun everyone it's time to go kill a Deer it's my Wife's first Deer HUNT ever.

And how did she do, Tobias?!

Is she now as hooked on deer-hunting as she is on fishing?!
    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy w/ a fresh Mercruiser 470 (Chopstick)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy, soon to be with kf7gth (Chopstick II)
    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
    1986 Glasply 8-1/2 foot dinghy (presently unpowered & unnamed) SOLD!
    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout w/ Mercruiser 470 (Beer Goggles)

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.