Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: 81 28' Long Cabin work in progress

Big second to Appella's comment. Always a crowd around watching when you don't need that. Keep practicing, even though the wind and current will often/always negate your helmsman skills. Molly Brown is a big sailboat with a radar arch and full enclosure. Lots of fenders, at least three cylinders per side and maybe a round one on each side of the bow. 30' docking line from bow cleat back on each side laid on the gunwale, plus 20+' stern lines in place on stern cleats and laying in the cockpit away from the props. Practice in all weather conditions, it will build confidence but not protect from the occasional scuff.
    "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" welcoming Summer after a mild Spring. SUP paddlers slowly starting to come back.

Nice job, good to see it in the water, looks like you got the water line just right.
    Last edited by Akgramps; 06-18-2018 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Git, Got, oh well...!
    1982 2580 "HI-BOY " IN 2 DEEP 5.7LX ALPHA

Quote Originally Posted by theremikegoes View Post
    Both standard rotation, I don't think prop walk was the issue though
    As in any boat powered by twins, if both props rotate the same direction, prop walk exists, with 17x18 props you have it and especially at slow speeds because GP 28's have very little keel.Yes, wind is a big factor and I've docked my boat in lots of wind with nary a problem if I use proper throttle on the "downwind" engine to increase prop walk against the sail effect and apply enough rudder to keep boat straight. I hardly ever use rudder to steer boat when traveling at speeds used in marinas. Just in and out of gear depending on direction i want.
    "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Mike, Just finished perusing this thread front to back, you have accomplished a lot and your boat looks great. I have been so wrapped up in my boat project I haven't taken any time to look at much else here. Those 28's sure have a lot of space... hmmmmm
    1982 2580 "HI-BOY " IN 2 DEEP 5.7LX ALPHA

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Mike, Just finished perusing this thread front to back, you have accomplished a lot and your boat looks great. I have been so wrapped up in my boat project I haven't taken any time to look at much else here. Those 28's sure have a lot of space... hmmmmm

Thanks! I did the same thing on your thread a bit ago, although you took yours to a whole nother level. Good eye on the waterline-I was sweating that because he actually raised the water line several inches on one side-must have had heavy stuff on one side that I pulled out because it ended up perfect on both sides as far as I'm concerned.

Also... we know where a 28 is for "cheap", and where a trailer to move it might be.

Bill V, sorry I misspoke... it has prop walk for sure, but in calmer conditions earlier in the day it was easily countered by balancing port/stbd rpm or leaving one engine in neutral for creeping straight forward. My intention was to say that I don't believe prop walk is why I needed an engine in reverse while moving fwd to drive in a straight line. I had also carefully centered rudder earlier and made sure not to touch it again on approach so I don't think that was goofing me up. I'm quite certain that someone using "proper" throttle could have walked it right in, and that it was 100% a me problem-hah.

where is glashawk when you need him, heck he would just shut one engine off. i have seen it for real!!!
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Glad to see it in the water at last!

Now I just need to go see it in person....
    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy w/ a fresh Mercruiser 470 (Chopstick)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy, soon to be with kf7gth (Chopstick II)
    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
    1986 Glasply 8-1/2 foot dinghy (presently unpowered & unnamed) SOLD!
    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout w/ Mercruiser 470 (Beer Goggles)

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.