Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blake island

We've brought the boy scouts out to Blake Island for campouts several times. The raccoons are a serious problem there.

We scout leaders would sit around the campfire in the evening pondering the problem. You see how vacant the place is on a beautiful October day? Well, imagine deep into January how lonely that island is.... The ranger lives there year-round. So we figured one winter night when no one was visiting the island, the ranger ought to pick off the little buggers with some .22 shorts, toss the carcasses in the boat and dump them in the Sound!

Between the raccoons and all the goose poop, the scouts don't want to go there any more!
    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy w/ a fresh Mercruiser 470 (Chopstick)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy, soon to be with kf7gth (Chopstick II)
    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
    1986 Glasply 8-1/2 foot dinghy (presently unpowered & unnamed) SOLD!
    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout w/ Mercruiser 470 (Beer Goggles)

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    We've brought the boy scouts out to Blake Island for campouts several times. The raccoons are a serious problem there.

We scout leaders would sit around the campfire in the evening pondering the problem. You see how vacant the place is on a beautiful October day? Well, imagine deep into January how lonely that island is.... The ranger lives there year-round. So we figured one winter night when no one was visiting the island, the ranger ought to pick off the little buggers with some .22 shorts, toss the carcasses in the boat and dump them in the Sound!

Between the raccoons and all the goose poop, the scouts don't want to go there any more!
    LOL, I mentioned exactly what you said to one of the rangers regarding disposing of the creatures, was given a frown only a true liberal could give...
    They're cute until..... but, they do need to be thinned out

They would make some fine hats. Funny my daughter did just that after the raccoon's were caught raiding the henhouse. We lost about 8 hens. Took em out of the tree with a 12 gauge. Problem solved!
    Boat=Bust out another thousand
    1973 19' Glasply HT 140 Mercruiser- procrastinating ongoing rebuild
    1985 2200 Glasply HT Marauder 5 L

JB
    Probably had to some fur patching and filling after a 12 gauge.
    "Few men during their lifetime come anywhere near exhausting the resources dwelling within them. There are deep wells of strength that are never used". Richard Byrd, naval officer and explorer
    1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" enjoying the late summer sun on Trinidad Island

Its like all the other cute animals people save today, sea lions, raccons, seals, and now we have many many more than their food sources allow, I bet if people stopped going to the island they would either swim back to the mainland, starve to death, or end up eating each other.......

Introduce a predator or two...like a hungry cougar... then sit back on our GP's, adult beverage in hand and watch the fun! Probably too much for you Southern Cal GP owners... sorry

California's solution would be to make Blake Island a Sanctuary with full government benefits. The raccoons would multiply rapidly until they ran out of food. Then JB can gather up pelts for fur caps without his shotgun. Problem solved. It will take a while, so lay in an adequate supply of adult beverages.

To your point, Cougars don't do well in Huskyville!
    "Few men during their lifetime come anywhere near exhausting the resources dwelling within them. There are deep wells of strength that are never used". Richard Byrd, naval officer and explorer
    1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" enjoying the late summer sun on Trinidad Island

What a sweet boat. What size is that? Your adventure looks like fun! The weather has been great up until this week here in the Northwest.
    GlasPly72PDX
    Play'n Hooky
    1972 GlasPly 171 Runabout
    Mercruiser 120 I/O

It started life as a 21ft, but now is about 24 or so-since i added the bracket and outboard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4238.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	6400

2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient Mr. Smee's Avatar
    To your point, Cougars don't do well in Huskyville!
    Looking like an awesome Apple Cup this year, eh? The Pac 12 pendulum has swung back up to the PNW. (After a long hiatus . . . )
    2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running