Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fish finder advice

I catch as many or more fish than any of the other boats out there, Hummingbird Helix GPS/charts/sonar/chirp 550.00 including the transponder, I like to keep my tank full and my lines wet!!
    What ever you decide, good fishing to you!

I am somewhat torn between the Helix 7 and Helix 9 tho, primarily for the reason the 9 has twice as much transmit power as the 7. But I'm saving my nickles and dimes and pennies for one of the two.

Did you ever make any choices here? I'd like to hear them and the reasoning.

I want to get an AIS radio for my 28... leaning toward SH GX2200, but I want to map out the eventual electronics suite so I don't end up with waste and have it all link up nicely.

I was thinking:
    GX2200
    Airmar B744V
    HDS 7 gen 3 (use a wifi tablet for 2nd helm)
    Have Navman 3100 fuel monitor(need to research if the senders can be routed to the HDS 7 somehow)
    Much down the road add a Lowrance radar to replace the Furuno I have that is juuust post CRT screen.

I'm gonna go with the Helix 9 Chirp GPS G2N. My rationale (if there is such a thing when talking about boats...) is:

- I like the bigger screen on the H9. So when I'm fishing or running with the split screen, showing GPS on one side and sonar on the other, I can still see it.
    - The G2N is the NMEA 2000 interface, which will allow me to interface a compatible VHF radio and show AIS information. Not radar, but pretty close. My engine is old so it won't interface, and if I ever replace my gas tank, which I should, I could display tank info.

I'm not going with Down Imaging / DownScan. Initially I thought I would, however DI is only really useful at depths less than 100 feet or so. Down Imaging uses a high frequency, and the transducer beamwidth is very narrow, which is why it gives great detail with depth less than 100 feet. While it will see bottom at deeper depths, it loses resolution because the beam spreads out, and you get better bottom resolution with the chirp sonar.

My 2 cents worth.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I will pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rstallbaum View Post
    I'm gonna go with the Helix 9 Chirp GPS G2N. My rationale (if there is such a thing when talking about boats...) is:

- I like the bigger screen on the H9. So when I'm fishing or running with the split screen, showing GPS on one side and sonar on the other, I can still see it.
    - The G2N is the NMEA 2000 interface, which will allow me to interface a compatible VHF radio and show AIS information. Not radar, but pretty close. My engine is old so it won't interface, and if I ever replace my gas tank, which I should, I could display tank info.

I'm not going with Down Imaging / DownScan. Initially I thought I would, however DI is only really useful at depths less than 100 feet or so. Down Imaging uses a high frequency, and the transducer beamwidth is very narrow, which is why it gives great detail with depth less than 100 feet. While it will see bottom at deeper depths, it loses resolution because the beam spreads out, and you get better bottom resolution with the chirp sonar.

My 2 cents worth.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I will pretty soon.
    I'll take a look at that one, wasn't too concerned about screen size if can be WIFI duplicated on a tablet- if it does that. Had a helix 5 in my last boat that was very intuitive and I liked it a lot.

This is what attracts me to the HDS gen 3:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUQwD7dZ5xg
    Last edited by theremikegoes; 02-14-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: add

I don't think the H9 does that. Cool feature if you want to use your phone or tablet.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I got sidetracked last fall and did not pick up a fishfinder. Like usual, I wait to buy stuff when it is in high demand, any new fish finder tech since last fall? Still can't decide between Lowrance or Hummingbird, maybe Garmin? I am leaning toward the Helix 9, Mike, did you get your new sounder? If so, what did you get?
    I hate decisions.

I got a lowrance carbon 7, there was a pretty good rebate going on it at the time. Also added fuel flow monitors, trim tab indication, and a b744V transducer. Setup was pretty easy, all of the network stuff pretty much took care of itself except for calibrating the trim tabs. Still haven't figured out how to get AIS to show from the gx2200 yet, thought I had a good 0183 wiring schematic but I don't think its working. The techs all just want me to buy an 0183->2000 gateway but it shouldnt be necessary as the lowrance says it reads the ais sentences in 0183... I think, haha.

One thing, I had hoped the tablet feature would allow you to show a different screen on the tablet but all you can do is duplicate the screen.