Thread: Adding Trim Tabs

Adding Trim Tabs

We have had a couple rough water rides home, the last one from the South East tip of vashion to Manchester in probably 15-25 knot winds, and I want to get the bow of the boat into the chop better and when needed even out the uneven load condtion.

First I removed everything I could from the stern, I also had to add a mount for the kicker to keep it away from the trim tabs, once everything had been removed I cleaned and polished the transom the area where there had once been a plastic kicker mount was gross, the rest was pretty stained and dirty, I knew once the tabs and other equipment it would be very difficult to get in there and polish it well, those pictures are on the Gelcoat restoration thread.
    Anyway it was a pretty simple instal, six screw holes for each hinge and 3 for each actuator/driver plus a center hole for the wires ( a liberal use of 5200), took me about an hour to set up and measure, then maybe another hour to instal, the wiring was very simple as I have the baisic up down left right system, no relays, you just have to remember to pick them up when you shut down, just like you remember to lift your motor when you trailer it, also backing up quickly with them down would probably not be too good for them...
    Ill let you know how the sea trial goes in the next few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0786.JPG   IMG_0789.JPG   IMG_0792.jpg   IMG_0796.jpg  

they look like Bennett elecrtic tabs
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Quote Originally Posted by noluck View Post
    they look like Bennett elecrtic tabs
    That they are, I went around several times between these and the pump and line models, this seemed much easier to instal myself..

We took the boat out yesterday for a trial on the new trim tabs, lol let me tell you a little goes a long way when it comes to adjusting the attitude of the boat. We took off out of Manchester, I trimmed the tabs down as we launched the nose never came up but as we got to speed the boat felt like it was steering/handeling dangerously, I slowed down, and tried again, this time using much less trim to get up and backing off with a couple quick blips of bow up, now the boat felt tight, angle of attack was good, the bow was slicing through the chop with out trying to direct the boat. In the end we found that launching was best with four quick blips of bow down, then when shes on plane (which is super fast now) back off with two blips of bow up and the ride is smooth and predictable, we hit a few wakes at full tilt ( 32 mph) and no pound at all, they were small wakes for bigger ones Ill still slow down a bit, and boat handles differently it took a little while to get used to it, but the changes are all positive and I am very happy with the purchase, the only thing I would do differently is next time I would go with the 12x9 instead of the 12x12 they reccomended to me, on a 19 foot boat they are more than it needs and because of that the control is very sensitive taking a very light touch to make a significant difference in the boats attitude.

electric tabs are way faster that hydraulic, yes tap the contoll and not hold it down
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

My hydraulic are too fast as it is! I barely tap and away they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
    My hydraulic are too fast as it is! I barely tap and away they go.
    Mine are too, plus I upgraded to the larger 30"x12" over the OEM 30"x9" ones.
    "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill V View Post
    Mine are too, plus I upgraded to the larger 30"x12" over the OEM 30"x9" ones.
    I learned something the hard way! I was cruising at 3K around 21mph and I hammered it. The thing pulled left and it wanted to go deep sea diving! Trim at one speed is NOT good at another. Then I hit the wrong side of the trim button and scared the HE!! outa me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
    I learned something the hard way! I was cruising at 3K around 21mph and I hammered it. The thing pulled left and it wanted to go deep sea diving! Trim at one speed is NOT good at another. Then I hit the wrong side of the trim button and scared the HE!! outa me.
    Reminds me of when I sea trialed my 2006 repower with the Crusader 310hp engines. I and the mechanic were out running around Bellingham Bay and testing various RPM's to check various things out when he said for me to hit WOT and see what the boat could do. I gradually brought it up in speed, carefully adjusting tabs. At 4800 doing about 38-39mph the boat started to list over to starboard a little and I hit the port tab to level it out. All of a sudden the boat slammed over on the port chine and threw me out of the seat and on the deck. Since then I'm very careful about adjusting trim. It's very easy to over trim at speed.
    "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Once the tabs are "pressing" on the water, a little goes a long way....