Thread: anyoe interested is a trip running through the ballard locks

anyoe interested is a trip running through the ballard locks

this summer sometime i want to run down to the ballard locks and lock through then come back the next day
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

noluck

Check the Ballard Locks website for locking procedures. I think they are different between the small and large locks. Also if you secure your boat to the a bollard on the wall, make sure it is a floating one and goes up or down with the water level. That's one of those 'Don't ask me how I know" experiences.
    Last edited by Socal; 10-16-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    "To steal ideas from someone is plagerism, to steal from many is called research"
    1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" bracing for winter as nighttime temperatures drop into the 50ís. All but the heartiest SUP paddlers are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by noluck View Post
    this summer sometime i want to run down to the ballard locks and lock through then come back the next day

I would like to go with, it sound slike a fun adventure, i would have to go and return the same day though, we have too many animals to leave for more than 10-12 hours without a sitter..

Go mid-week (Tues - Thurs) if you can if you just want the experience of locking through. Make sure you have at least six fenders in place and at least a pair of 50' lines with 12" eyes. Summer weekends are challenging with long lines and some inept skippers, especially returning on Sunday afternoons.
    If you have time, head over to Ivar's on Lake Union under the freeway bridge. Guest dock and great clam chowder and fish. Wish I could go with you.
    Last edited by Socal; 10-16-2017 at 11:45 PM.
    "To steal ideas from someone is plagerism, to steal from many is called research"
    1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" bracing for winter as nighttime temperatures drop into the 50ís. All but the heartiest SUP paddlers are gone.

2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient Mr. Smee's Avatar
    OMG. I know a great Ballard lock story, although it's so good it may well be apocryphral. When I lived in Seattle years ago, one of my co-workers told me that one of his buddies organized a weekend boys' fishing expedition. The participants kissed their wives and kids goodbye in Lake Washington, told them they'd be back in a few days, and headed out.

One of the wives thought it would be a nice gesture to drive over to the locks, and cheer the husbands on as they went through. She and her kids were shocked to see a few buxom babes in bikinis on deck as the boat entered the locks.

As I say, probably too good to be true. Great tale, though, what??
    2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running

Gloria and I would like to tag along as this has been on our bucket list of things to do.

You never know which lock (large or small) will be open for you, so you have to be prepared for either. If the small lock, you'll be able to tie up with your regular dock lines to the cleat on the floating wall, but have to have crew to man each as you have to be able to free yourself from the floating cleat mount if need be (as I believe Socal was referring). If directed to the big lock, they will pass down a couple of light lines to which you need to attach the loop end of each of the 50' lines with a 12" loop you are required to have on board to lock through. They'll then pull your line up and secure the loop to a cleat at the top of the wall. Your crew manning that line needs to do a half-wrap around your boat cleat and take up the slack as you ascend (or pay it out as you descend on the way back out). Fenders you don't love should be placed between you and the nasty lock wall. Your good fenders can go on the other side for other boats to raft to you.

It's a simple enough process. Have decent crew with you and watch the signals from the lock guys as they'll let you know what to do.

Enjoy!
    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy w/ a fresh Mercruiser 470 (Chopstick)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy, soon to be with kf7gth (Chopstick II)
    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
    1986 Glasply 8-1/2 foot dinghy (presently unpowered & unnamed) SOLD!
    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout w/ Mercruiser 470 (Beer Goggles)

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.