Thread: 28 Glasply Needs New Shore Power Connector Socket

28 Glasply Needs New Shore Power Connector Socket

Hi,

The shore power connector socket on my 28 is on the port side, about a foot above the deck and about a foot from the cabin window bulkhead. It's broken. The socket floats back into the hull and isn't secured to the mounting plate so it won't the plug securely. It looks like there was a combination a plastic shell with a metal piece securing it and the metal corroded away and then the plastic broke. I don't see any parts available for the connector.

Has anyone here replaced this part? Bulkheads and walls seem to block access so I'm wondering how to replace it. There is even a glassed board between the storage compartment and where the connector socket is.

The only thing I can think of is to trace the power wires and cut them, and then pull the socket out, hoping that another wire attached to the cut wire can be used as a guide wire after a new socket is installed. But I'm hoping there is a better easier way.

Thanks

jim

It won’t be fun but you can get to it from the bilge. Crawl in there and find that end wall from the storage cabinet and look up. It’s very tight but you can get it from there.

Tinker,
    Welcome to the forum. You can see what a great knowledge resource is here and a willingness to share that information. Tell us about your 28 and I would like to add your HIN to our registry. Have about 150 28’s in the registry including build no. 1&2, both in Alaska.
    Last edited by Socal; 03-05-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" welcoming Summer after a mild Spring. SUP paddlers slowly starting to come back.

I removed my shore power receptacle and moved it aft about 18" to make room for my cockpit cabinet. As I remember the screws that held it in place came out easily. I then pulled it out and spliced a piece in to run the wire to a terminal strip and then to the new shore power receptacle and a 120 outlet in the cockpit. Pretty routine really.
    "Joint Venture" 1978 28' twin 2017 Vortec roller cam 383/6.3L 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

HIN

Sent you the HIN a couple times but not sure it went through.

Thanks you're right it is a very tight position. BGW call is K7RGL.

Tinker

Got your HIN, thanks

Socal
    "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" welcoming Summer after a mild Spring. SUP paddlers slowly starting to come back.