Thread: Mercruiser 888 not engaging

Mercruiser 888 not engaging

Need help on outdrive shift linkage on a 1974 888 outdrive. It was working last weekend on the water now it only clanks and spins barely as if it was in the forward position. Engine revs up and all cables move but no sign of reverse or forward engaging when control lever is moved either forward, neutral, or reverse.

That could be a couple things. Might be the shift cable has come loose at the shifter or the shift cable from the linkage at the motor to the out drive. Check the shifter first.

Unhook the shift cable from the control arm on the outdrive to see if the shifter will engage the gears. If that works then the shifter cable may be loose as 18ft Trophy says.
    "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" welcoming Summer after a mild Spring. SUP paddlers slowly starting to come back.

9 out of ten times its the shift cable to the drive. More often than not you'll need to replace it. Worse case its the clutch dog but that's a long shot because you didn't mention grinding.

one way to narrow it down is to take the shift cable from the shifter off at the shift interupter and manually shift it
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

I'll try some of these. in neutral it slowly turns the prop and makes a light clunking sound but no sound when fully throttled in forward and reverse

where are you located?
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Im located in Tacoma WA

if only you were closer, i think we have some knowledgeable members down that way that might be able to lend a hand