Thread: Replacing 165 Mercuiser power plant

Replacing 165 Mercuiser power plant

My son and I have recently purchased a 1974 19' hard top. It has the 165 6 cylinder Merc I/O. Engine needs to be replaced and while we would like to add OB bracket and nice 200 hp OB my son cannot afford the $ 14,000 or so for used OB and bracket. Sooo looking for good supplier of replacement Chev 6 cylinder marine 165. I have been spending some time fixing a couple of dry rot areas as former owner let this boat set for 11 years and didn't do anything to keep water out other than pulling transom plug. He didn't know about cockpit drain plug.
    Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
    Gasman

You say it needs to be replaced...but what is causing you to say that? Maybe just tear down to block and have a machine shop redo the head and short block for you? If you go with a full rebuild, you might consider having them build it to a 4.6litre 200hp in-line 6. Your 165 is the 4.1litre.
    Glas-Hawk
    Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
    2002 10ft w/15hp Merc 4 stroke - Glas-Hawk2
    1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
    Previous Affairs
    1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
    1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
    1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
    1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc
    1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)

Thanks for your reply Glashawk. The previous owner did nothing to protect from freezing so I feel block might be cracked. Oil on dip stick looks a little suspicious as if it has water in it. Right now chasing down and repairing dry rot issues in a couple of places. Apparently one of the previous owners parked boat with bow below stern and water has dry rotted main keel stringer at forward most bulkhead along with some flooring. pain in the butt but I can overcome, just lots of work.
    Gasman

Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    Thanks for your reply Glashawk. The previous owner did nothing to protect from freezing so I feel block might be cracked. Oil on dip stick looks a little suspicious as if it has water in it. Right now chasing down and repairing dry rot issues in a couple of places. Apparently one of the previous owners parked boat with bow below stern and water has dry rotted main keel stringer at forward most bulkhead along with some flooring. pain in the butt but I can overcome, just lots of work.
    Gasman
    Just my two cents but unless you see cracking on manifold or on block I’d just change the oil and filter and attempt to get it going. Maybe do a compression check as well. It’s possible that you may just hVe some condensation moisture in the engine from sitting for so long. Good luck with the project.
    Glas-Hawk
    Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
    2002 10ft w/15hp Merc 4 stroke - Glas-Hawk2
    1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
    Previous Affairs
    1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
    1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
    1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
    1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc
    1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)