Thread: 1981 Fishing Machine 1800

1981 Fishing Machine 1800

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I suppose that since "introductions" have been made, work done on the boat should go here. I spent the day in the boat, basically digging it out from the years of neglect. After shoveling out the pine needles, pine cones, and blackberry bushes, I spent 4+hrs removing all unwanted/needed equipment and accessories, and pressure washing. It is cleaning up pretty nice. I'll have to visit the "gelcoat restoration" thread to get some ideas of where to go next, as the boat is pretty stained. I have been able to see some potential as I cleaned her up today, and I'm getting pretty excited.

I'm thinking of keeping the "classic look" while updating the color scheme of the interior and striping on the hull. The plan, as it is, will be to replace all wood with grey Trex composite, adding a couple of jumper seats, and covering them in grey with black trim, and having a new top built, also in grey. The stripes on the hull will change from brown to black on top and grey below.

I have my mechanic (aka Uncle) coming by to go through the motor, while I check out the fuel tank, and address any electronics issues/upgrades.

Has anyone else used Trex in lieu of wood? Any considerations or concerns?

Thank you for any information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180803162841_IMG_6366.jpg   20180803162817_IMG_6365.jpg   20180803162934_IMG_6368.jpg  
    Last edited by 360Concealment; 08-03-2018 at 09:51 PM.

that is a pretty cool boat, and cleaning up nicely. congrats
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

That is a sharp looking boat. I don't know if anyone here has used Trex or not but I would research how it may go before diving in.
    1978 Glasply 21ft 5.7l Mercruiser R drive "Sandi's Surprise"
    1981 Glasply 17ft 70hp Johnson & 9.8hp Nissan kicker "Skunked"

I am not sure about how using Trex would work on a boat, but I know that I replaced my deck with it and at least that version of the product has actual wood fibers in it, which mildews every year and requires that I use 30 Second Cleaner or such on it.

You might consider using “King Starboard,” which comes in gray and many other colors as well. Usually available in white, which might work for you too. The stuff ain’t cheap, but it’s extremely durable and as easy to work with as wood.

What’s the vehicle in the carport there in the first pic, with the hood up?
    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy w/ a fresh Mercruiser 470 (formerly Chopstick) SOLD!
    1980 Glasply 19-1/2 foot hardtop cuddy, soon to be with kf7gth (Chopstick II)
    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
    1986 Glasply 8-1/2 foot dinghy (presently unpowered & unnamed) SOLD!
    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout w/ Mercruiser 470 (Beer Goggles)

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

My guess is an International Scout on the vehicle. Good looking boat!

A scout is correct.

Thank you for the information and material suggestion. That's a scout in the background.