Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 1974 Glasply - not a peep when turning the key...

Quote Originally Posted by 18ftTrophy View Post
    Most likely a frozen steering cable which can be removed and replaced if you can't free it up with some liquid graphite, and you can find that at your local NAPA store. Spray into both ends of the cable and let sit awhile, then word the wheel back and forth.

OK, wow.. i've got it all back together. It was a nightmare hahaa.

Got the rebuilt starter in and new belt on the pulley etc. Put the plugs back in.

I tried to start the thing a couple times and would hear a loud clank which sounded like the starter trying to hit the fly wheel. After a few times of trying that that clank was replaced with a smaller click which I heard before... sounds just like the starter clicking. The sound I was hearing at the very beginning. I put an ohm meter on the batteries and it reads 12 or 13... then I put the ohm meter on the starter and it said 12... I took off one sparkplug and tried to bypass by touching metal on the starter posts and the starter motor starts whirring if I touch it on one. And if I touch it onto the other post I can hear the starter clanking onto the flywheel.. (but not budging it). i'm really not sure what it could be now... There seems to be some wiring issues inside the cabinet but i'm not suer if that could be the problem. I'm charging the batteries right now just to see if that helps for tomorrow...

First try turning over the motor with the plugs out. This will make sure the starter is hitting the flywheel correctly and if it is continue turning the motor over so it can build up oil presser and loosen up the motor some more. Let the starter cool for awhile and do it several more times before you try starting it.

Quote Originally Posted by 18ftTrophy View Post
    First try turning over the motor with the plugs out. This will make sure the starter is hitting the flywheel correctly and if it is continue turning the motor over so it can build up oil presser and loosen up the motor some more. Let the starter cool for awhile and do it several more times before you try starting it.
    Its pretty much impossible to turn the motor right now cause I put it back on the mount and there is no good way to get grip to turn anything. i can try taking out the sparkplugs again and giving the starter a go again tho...

Click click again

So the new starter is on there.. it clanked a few times like i said yesterday (like it was trying to engage the flywheel) then it just clicked again. So I charged the batteries overnight and now we're back to clicking in the starter... When i try to bypass the solenoid it actually turns the crank a little bit every time... but it won't actually start. Any ideas?

Like trophy said...try it with the plugs out. If it won’t turn over fairly easily by grabbing the belt or a pulley(with no plugs in) then you’re not ready to try to start it. If you try too hard with the starter and it’s not completely free yet you’ll be rewarded with a toasted starter and/or solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by theremikegoes View Post
    Like trophy said...try it with the plugs out. If it wonít turn over fairly easily by grabbing the belt or a pulley(with no plugs in) then youíre not ready to try to start it. If you try too hard with the starter and itís not completely free yet youíll be rewarded with a toasted starter and/or solenoid.
    I kinda wonder if I toasted the solenoid again... when I try to start it I just hear a click in the starter... when I bypass the solenoid (depending which post I touch) I can make the starter engine whirrrr... or I can make the starter try to move the crank. I can see it move the crank like a half a centimeter every time I touch the posts... but I can't get it to turn the whole thing... Maybe I just didn't loosen it enough when I took everything off and started turning it....

Mike,
    I don't think you have enough charge in the batteries. Should be over 13 volts. They may not be able to hold a charge or support a load. The clicking is the common sound of a dead or dying battery in a car or boat.
    "Freedom is a well armed lamb" Benjamin Franklin

1982 28' Long Cabin "Molly Brown" sweating through a long hot summer. Massive California forest fires fill our sky with smoke. SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

A jump start is one thing I haven't tried... I thought 12/13 would be enough volts... i'll give the jumpstart a shot in a bit

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    Maybe I just didn't loosen it enough when I took everything off and started turning it....
    If you still cant turn it by hand this gets my vote. Even with the plugs in you should be able to move it back and forth a little. Get it to where it spins somewhat easily by hand without the plugs and then try it.

Also, 12v=dead battery and 12.7-9 is full charge for a lead acid battery. Above 13 is what you *should* see while running. For troubleshooting purposes you need to add another decimal to your measurements... Just be careful attempting to crank it over, if it doesn't turn immediately then it's time to do more investigating. Last, did you replace that corrode wire and inspect the other wires/connections at the starter/solenoid/etc?