CLALLAM Bay fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLALLAM Bay fishing

A good friend of mine and I went in on the last RV Lot that was for Sale at the old Coho Resort now called the Coho estates in Sekiu. It was a great place to go and social distance. Of course it was a tuff start to the season. Kings were supposed to open in March and that got delayed. We were told because there were no fish checkers were allowed to work by the state because of the Covid we couldn't fish (hmm what did we do before the fish checkers were out there) Anyway it was a slow start. Then Halibut got delayed for the Sportsman but not for others. The state opened areas 3-6 to others for 7 days and we were told by a Wildlife Officer (fish Cop) they were allowed to keep everything in there nets because of the hardships of Covid19. We were trying to figure out why we saw commercial boats on the water when we were told it was closed. Anyway Halibut in Area 5 was not very good. All anyone was catching was the small 16 - 20 pounders. Where last year just out in front of Clallam and down at Piller point they were piking up 30 - 60 pounders. if you wanted the bigger Halibut this year you had to run to Swiftsure or the garbage dump out of Neah Bay. Oh and Neah bay was closed all season so everyone had to stay at Olsons Masons or Van Rippers in Sekiu. And that was a night mare. It was good for the resorts out there they made more money this year than they had in a long time. Van Rippers needed it they replaced all there docks this year. Then everything kind of settled down and the Coho season opened up and it was on. This was by far the best Coho season I have seen out there in a long long time. I have been going to Sekiu my entire life. My Moms side of the family Homesteaded on the Hoko river. We used to go out there and spend a lot of time fishing every summer. Unfortunately the Homestead was lost after my great uncle passed away in the late 80's.
    We were there for almost the entire Coho Season this year and went out almost everyday. There was only 4 times that we didn't come in with a limit for the boat during the Coho season. Everybody thinks we have a secret lure or bait but we don't. A small silver flasher 18 to 24 inch Liter and a cut plug hearing nothing fancy. We have found the faster the plug spins the better the fish like it. Run one pole down on each down rigger and run a pole in the middle with a diver. It was a great year for us out there and we are looking forward to many more. So if you are out at Sekiu and see a 79 22' with blue stripes that might be me. I don't have a name on the boat. All the names I wanted were taken.
    Have a fantastic Holiday stay safe out on the water and most of all enjoy every minute you have.

Good report!!!

Our boat did really well September for Coho in the SanJuans.

Comment

Tough year all around but glad to hear the coho were good. I love that area so much. Spent many summers in my late teens and early twenties camping at Snow Creek and fishing Swiftsure, Duncan rock, etc. Hope to spend some time out there over the next few years.

Comment

I heard from some friends that the San Juans were on fire for nice Kings this year. I have some friends that live in Birch Bay that did extremely well for Kings and they are always bragging about the crabbing up there.

Comment

It's to bad Snow Creek is closed down. All the docks are there along with most of the trolley, restrooms, and the old store/office. I wonder if the state would sell that property.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
            I heard from some friends that the San Juans were on fire for nice Kings this year. I have some friends that live in Birch Bay that did extremely well for Kings and they are always bragging about the crabbing up there.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	king_3598.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	69838 This one was caught in late summer by my nephew who is an Air Force Pilot of big bombers and refueling planes. His first King salmon.
            "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

I'm hoping we get the early Black mouth season this year. It's supposed to open March 30th I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill V View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	king_3598.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	69838 This one was caught in late summer by my nephew who is an Air Force Pilot of big bombers and refueling planes. His first King salmon.
                That's one hell of a Nice Fish!!!
                Boat=Bust out another thousand
                1973 19' Glasply HT 140 Mercruiser- procrastinating ongoing rebuild
                1985 2200 Glasply HT Marauder 5 L

Comment

About 32# and 55 mins to get it into boat. His first King salmon although he's caught many silvers and pinks.
                  "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Working...
                  X