Joined BYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joined BYC

So, since the forum locked up on us last fall, Jennifer and I have joined the Bremerton Yacht Club. We even have a slip for the Cardinal there, though for the off season it’s sitting on its trailer in the warm, dry shop here at home!

We did launch last month to attend the BYC’s “Special People’s Cruise” where members take a group of mostly young people with Down’s syndrome and such on a short local cruise up Dyes Inlet where we come upon a member’s trawler anchored in the bay with Santa aboard! Then the kids on our boats get to actually talk with Santa over the marine radio!

So Jennifer and I launched the Cardinal the day before and then slept aboard that night. In the morning I went to the cockpit to open the ice chest to get some creamer for Jennifer’s coffee and as the stern lowered a bit, the bilge pump came on. It had rained a little during the night, so that wasn’t surprising.

Well, it kept pumping and pumping and pumping.... Eh?! Something must be up. I opened the doghouse and noticed a few drips falling off the hose running up to the raw water pump. I wiggled it a bit to see if it was loose and that slow drip turned into a trickle! Oh my. But it wasn’t coming from the hose. It was leaking out of the pump housing itself.

A quick Google check on the situation taught me that the seal on the Volvo-Penta raw water pumps (crankshaft-driven) tend to wear out after about 250 hours. We have closer to 350 hours, so that’s probably it. There are kits one can get, but after all the monkeying around with gear pullers and presses, the cost of a new pump assembly vs. just the seal kit (and a new bearing since now there’s been exposure of the original bearing to sea water), wasn’t great enough to be worth the hassle.

We ended up bowing out of the Special People’s Cruise (since I didn’t know what effect this leak would have on our engine cooling and didn’t want trouble on the Cruise), and headed back to the Port Orchard boat launch without incident. The boat now sits in the shop waiting for me to finish the swap of the new pump assembly I bought.

Later this month is the club’s “Cruise to BYC” event, which is funny because it’s a BYC event cruising TO the BYC. Figure that one out.... It coincides with the annual Crab Feed at the club. So Jennifer and I will launch again and stay on the boat again that weekend. Should be fun!
    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

-- Tim Taylor

Comment

Very cool Tim. Now I'm curious about moorage there... Is it just me or is it a little tough to figure out what moorage actually costs from their website?!

Comment

No, it’s not just you. I don’t think their website covers that at all, does it?

There is a $1500 initiation fee to join. Membership is $400 annually. Moorage is based on the slip size, in square feet, either of the space available in the slip or the amount of that available space that the member’s boat takes up. I need to check on that. I’m paying for 30’ x 11.5’ though the Cardinal doesn’t take more than 23’ x 8.5’. So I suspect it’s available space.

Edit: There is a break in the initiation fee (reduced to $500) for members under 35. You in that range....?
        Last edited by Binford; 01-12-2020, 07:13 PM. Reason: Thought of something....
        -- Tim Taylor

Comment

My wife is... not me. Between you, me, and the internet she's 21 but for unrelated reasons might not qualify for under 35 for much longer. Online they show a $3500 dollar initiation fee so I had dismissed it without calling anyone there. I may have to look into that closer, much shorter break even point if the initiation is less because I'm fairly certain moorage is cheaper there.

Comment

I run the same pump as you do but do not use the Volvo-Penta raw water pump as they are too expensive. The pumps Volvo sells are manufactured by Johnson and I buy mine for $125 ea. from Hodges Marine. I tried changing the impeller one time, too frustrating for me. I now change each engine every two years or about 200-250 hours and carry a new one for a spare.
            "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

$3500?! Is that what the website indicates? Crikey! No, it’s $1500, which I thought was harsh enough.

Yeah, you’re not kidding, Bill! Friggin’ $400! I never know if I can trust non OEM parts so I bit the bullet, back when the site was still down. Now I know though.....
              -- Tim Taylor

Comment

Working...
              X