28 owners input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 owners input

In the 16 years I have owned my present GP28 I have noticed that in running my boat 99.9% from the upper helm and therefore justified the removal of the lower helm, I seemed to always, when approaching a marina or new anchoring point, be requesting the "admiral" bring up the Waggoner's Cruising Guide for local information such as radio channel, phone number or location of gas/visitor's dock. Then what usually happened eventually was it would rain and another book got soaked. Sitting in the helm the other day gave me the idea of removing the port helm chair and install a "chart table" with a waterproof storage underneath for various harbor chart books, Waggoners and cruising guides plus binoculars and flashlight. It would be pedestal mounted and have the chart table lid hinge up and away from me sitting in helm chair exposing a 4-5" deep waterproof compartment 21" wide and 28" long. Thoughts from 28 owners and anyone else that may have ideas too. 90% of the time the port chair is not used and 50% of the time the starboard chair is vacant as well.
    "Joint Venture" '78 midcabin 28, twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Sounds like a great idea Bill. In the 20 years I have owned my 28, I have always struggled with Waggoner books sliding off the seat, charts falling on the floor etc.
    sometimes you cant leave the helm, and you cant reach what you need.
    best part about your design is if you don't like it, put the seat back in.
    Please document your build.

Comment

Bill, you could fabricated a chart table/storage box with a hinged clear lid over a shallow tray which would cover/protect the cruising guide chart and also be the 'lid' for the storage box below. The sides of the box would be a trapezoid shape to put the chart at an angle for easier reading. I would prefer it to be mounted directly in front of, and over the helm station. You have a full instrumentation panel, so the mounting would have to provide a clear.the view of the panel and allow it to tilt up for access. You could build a mount off of the coaming railing to hold the box,
      I think mounting it on the seat pedestal would be inconvenient to look at unless the pedestal was extended at least the arm level of the helm seat.
      My thoughts from the land where it doesn't rain very much.
      Look forward to your solution.
      The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin . SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Originally posted by Socal View Post
        I think mounting it on the seat pedestal would be inconvenient to look at unless the pedestal was extended at least the arm level of the helm seat.
        That is exactly what I intend to do, the seat & pedestal has been removed and awaiting some seat boxes being built by a member of this forum. I will mount a pedestal on the seat box that will raise the "chart table" to an elevation that puts it close to helm seat height. Final elevation will be determined after installation. My goal is to be able to view a chart or a Waggoner's by having it within an easy arms reach. A lot of this has come about because of the auto pilot install and having the ability to remove my hands from the steering wheel and focus more attention on the area I am approaching and consideration for the "stop over" whether it be anchoring or mooring at a dock or marina. It also removes materials from the cabin and brings it closer to me for use when I need "answers".
        "Joint Venture" '78 midcabin 28, twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Seems like a good idea, especially with a clear lid like Socal mentioned. I have a full flybridge canopy but end up rolling up the windows when I come into the harbor because they limit visibility and catch a lot of wind. We don't have many harbors though so I don't need to have a guide out.
          1986 Glasply 28' long cabin

Comment

Well I spent a couple of days building a "chart table" to see how it would be like along side the helm seat. Since I like a cup holder away from all the dash electrics I added one. My plan is to apply 3 coats of fiberglass resin and then spray 2 coats of gelcoat to protect the wood. All the oak strips will be put back on after they are treated with teak oil. Elevation of table is only approximate. Final elevation will be set after new seat boxes installed.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Looks great Bill!
              Glas-Hawk
              Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
              1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe

Previous Affairs
              1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
              1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
              1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
              1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc
              1980 181 Runabout w/470 Mercruiser

1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)
              2002 10ft w/15hp Mer 4 stroke

Comment

As with most of the improvements you have built into your Glasply, Bill, that looks friggin’ Top Shelf! Will you put any sort of weather sealing for the compartment below? Would that be intended for long-term resource stowage, or just for the current voyage?
                -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

Mark my words: It will be dark again by nightfall.

Comment

Originally posted by Binford View Post
                  Will you put any sort of weather sealing for the compartment below? Would that be intended for long-term resource stowage, or just for the current voyage?
                  There will be 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick rubbber foam gasket all the way around the "box wall tops" so when the lid is closed it will seal the "box". The lid top has a 1" overhang to keep rain/wind from entering. For the most part the charts will be stored in the cabin and the chart box is the "current voyage" location. One of the "issues" I found when cruising on a voyage, especially when heading into the north country, is the unfamiliar passes, tidal rapids, harbors and marinas. With the operation of the boat being 100% from the upper helm and cruising much more at a slower pace I have the ability now to be more aware of the required "knowledge" for a safe passage. In places like Desolation Sound and the Broughton Islands it is fairly easy to get confused somewhat as to where you are at times. Biggest reason I use dual chart plotters so I have one zoomed out (10") and one zoomed in (8") to keep my location apparent relative to what I am seeing.

Comment

Very nice, Bill. Coincidentally, I've been pondering redoing my upper helm. In five years that I've owned the 28, I've piloted from the lower helm exactly once. The lack of visibility drives me crazy, so I prefer to drive from above no matter the weather. The lower helm area is usually piled up with clothes, groceries, whatever -- I'm afraid I don't have the chops to remove the lower helm and repurpose the space like you did.

My upper helm has the original seating of helm seat in the middle, L-shaped bench seat on the port side, and short bench seat on the starboard. There's very little room to move, and I don't really need that seating. I've been trying to think of a better arrangement, and I'd love to hear what's worked for you'uns.

Hey, my current project is pulling my engine hatches and lining them with new insulation. I've got the insulation, but I can't seem to find gasket material to replace the worn out stuff that goes around the edges of the hatches. Has anybody got a good suggestion & source for that? The only gasket material I can find is made for doors, and is too narrow.

Be well, guys.
                    2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running

Comment

QUOTE Mr. Smee: In five years that I've owned the 28, I've piloted from the lower helm exactly once. The lack of visibility drives me crazy, so I prefer to drive from above no matter the weather.

This was the main reason I removed the lower helm and like you I never used the lower helm but once and operated from the upper regardless of weather.

QUOTE Mr. Smee: My upper helm has the original seating of helm seat in the middle, L-shaped bench seat on the port side, and short bench seat on the starboard. There's very little room to move, and I don't really need that seating.

I have tried center helm seat and a back to back seat on each side of helm but found they were used very little. I had 3 matching helm seats for years which I liked very well but also found that hardly ever were they both occupied, hence my idea for a chart table on port side. I find we spend a lot of time boating with other couples and the wives seem to like being in the cabin and the husband takes a seat next to me, therefore one "passenger/1st mate" seat is adequate.

Comment

Mr. Smee,
                        I added a starboard helm seat after I saw Bill's layout. I moved the original starboard bridge bench seat to the port side of the cockpit. That's not an ideal location because you can't lean back when you're sitting. The 'L' shaped bench seat is still there and it's very easy to exceed the bridge weight capacity.
                        The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin . SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Gosh, Jim, I can't envision that. You moved the starboard bench to the port side without removing the existing port side" L bench"? You've gotta help me with this.

On another note: the upper helm is "crested" so water won't stand. If you add additional helm seats, I assume you have to somehow shim them to make them level?

Help me, Rhonda.
                          2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Smee View Post
                            Gosh, Jim, I can't envision that. You moved the starboard bench to the port side without removing the existing port side" L bench"? You've gotta help me with this.

On another note: the upper helm is "crested" so water won't stand. If you add additional helm seats, I assume you have to somehow shim them to make them level?

Help me, Rhonda.
                            As stated many times in various 28 project posts, radar wedges are used to level the seats. The wedges I used were 9" square and had 4* wedge.

Comment

Rhonda,

Starboard bench seat on bridge removed and re-installed in the cockpit in front of the galley window. 'L' shaped settee remains in place on the bridge.
                              Last edited by Bill V; 01-30-2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X