Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasply 2100 19' with V6 3.8 OMC stern drive

Hi All, first post.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1982 19' Glasply 2100 with a V6 3.8 OMC stern drive. Serial is GPL19179M82-A10. Everything looks really clean. I've been told it's been stored inside except for this winter, and it looks the part. The hull looks totally excellent that I can tell, not a scratch on it.

Questions:
    1) Does this boat have fiberglass stringers or wood? If unknown, how can I find out without compromising this boat I don't own?
    2) I've heard the OMC V6 is actually an SBC Chevy and that lots of them were made, but it's hard to find certain parts like exhaust manifolds. Any thoughts on the motor?
    3) Also the motor uses points, I guess in the distributor. I understand some folks don't like points for some reason as they're outdated. Any thoughts on this?
    4) I've heard if you get a setup like this and it's in good shape, you might need to replace the motor every 5-6 years, which sounds okay to me. Does this statement carry any water, no pun intended?
    5) Aside from wood rot issues, what other issues can I expect with a Glasply boat of this age & this motor?
    6) What should I expect to pay for this boat?
    7) Which of these smaller models (19 - 22') actually came with the kitchen?
    8) What is good about these boats and their design? What is bad about them?

thanks all!
    -Jeremy (S Seattle)

the weak point of that package is the omc drive (hasn't been made for a few decades and was prone to issues ) , it needs a pod conversion then it would be amazing
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Was this the 2100 that was for sale on CL for a while? In Poulsbo I believe?

Comment

As Noluck , the main problem is the OMC outdrive. I still run points in my classic cars and have nothing bad to say about them. Sometimes they are more reliable than electronic. That is a fbg stringer boat, only wood is the transom. Glasply's are built for the NW waters and can handle almost anything. Welcome aboard Jeremy.

Comment

What's a pod conversion?

Comment

Yep, the one in Poulsbo 😎

Comment

Thanks Trophy and all!!

How can u tell if the wood in transom is rotten?

Comment

Tap the fiberglass all over the transom with small ball peen hammer. Should sound sharp/solid not dull or hollow. Biggest place to check for delamination or dullness is around the out drive and any other penetration.
                Glas-Hawk
                Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
                1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe
                1980 181 Runabout w/470 Mercruiser

Previous Affairs
                1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
                1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
                1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
                1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc http://www.glasply.org/vb4/core/images/smilies/cool.png
                1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)
                2002 10ft w/15hp Mer 4 stroke

Comment

Thanks Hawk.

Anyone know about the versions that have kitchen stove, sink, fridge?

Comment

Originally posted by speedcat2000 View Post
                    What's a pod conversion?
                    outboard engine with a offshore bracket
                    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

If you look through the site, you will see quite a few pod conversions, in work and completed.

Comment

Jeremy
                        Welcome to the Forum. GP did a lot of custom builds so some may have galleys with alcohol stoves and small refers. Look at the end of the site for GP catalogs, they don't go beyond 1979-80 but interior layouts are similar. Test the soundness of the transom as Glashawk says, rest of hull should be good with FRP stringers. Look through this site for examples of POD conversions. If the OMC set is running and the tilt mechanism is working it might be a buy if you factor in the cost of a repower in the near future. Pricing is all over the map and depends on how badly the owner wants it gone. Year of trailer and condition can also affect asking price. The OMC power plant will hold the value down.
                        Thanks for the HIN and keep us posted on what happens. Plan to attend the Rendezvous at Cap Sante Marina in August. Lots of GP's to look at and owners to talk to - maybe you will be one by then.
                        The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin . SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Jeremy- the current owner of that boat is a good friend of mine. I believe the boat is currently being sold thru a broker? Give me a call/text. The owner could answer any questions you have. He is a Glasply enthusiast.

360-340-0143 Nik

Comment

Thanks so much SoCal and Nik!

Nik I'll give a ring when I get a bit of time. Mostly wanna know how the out drive is working, and if the gas tank is in good shape, and why he's selling.

Comment

Working...
                            X