Excited to get started on my 28 ft Glasply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excited to get started on my 28 ft Glasply

I heard of a boat that was left behind in a property foreclosure and being given away to anyone who wanted it. The new owner didn't advertise, so I heard by word of mouth and jumped on the offer. The boat is a 28 foot Glasply. He learned from the previous owner that it has been sitting for nine years, but had no real issues prior to that. He told me it has twin 283 engines, and lots of electronic gear included. I got it for nothing, so am pretty excited to get started on it's repair and refurbishing. I know very little about boats, but have always wanted one. A good friend is helping me out. he has a lot of experience. It might be a money pit, but what if it's not?

Welcome JMcnabb, You just made a lot of new friends, that are jealous of your find. I don't think there are many on here that wouldn't have jumped that. When you can tell us more about your find. Good luck and have funnnnnn.

Comment

Welcome aboard and now that you own a 28 I must warn you that any spare funds or time you may have will be consumed by your boat. Did it come with a trailer? Doubt it has 283's as no 28 was ever produced using an engine out of production for years. Probably either 305 or 350 engines. What year is it and some pics please. Also if you provide the HIN we can tell you a lot about your boat.
      "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill V View Post
        Welcome aboard and now that you own a 28 I must warn you that any spare funds or time you may have will be consumed by your boat. Did it come with a trailer? Doubt it has 283's as no 28 was ever produced using an engine out of production for years. Probably either 305 or 350 engines. What year is it and some pics please. Also if you provide the HIN we can tell you a lot about your boat.
        Bill, my HIN is GPL28040M77L. I will be looking at the boat today, so will try to confirm what the engines really are. There a wasp nest somewhere that I need to eliminate also. Tons of nautical charts from Puget Sound and elsewhere scattered all over the cabin, electronic devices sitting on the shelves, etc. I found a binder with all original paperwork from the mid-70's, including owner's manuals for many of the components. It doesn't have a trailer, so I will likely pay someone to haul it to Yaquina Bay (near Newport, OR) for me within the next two weeks. At that point I'll begin serious cleaning and restoration. I'm trying to figure out how to post pics, so will have some up soon for you to see.

Comment

Originally posted by JMcnabb View Post
          Bill, my HIN is GPL28040M77L.
          Yours is a 77 model boat and having twin engines will most likely be 305/228hp versions, although it could be 350'260hp ones too. If you were closer I would loan you my trailer as mine is on blocks in my shop presently. As memory serves me 1976 was the first year of the 28' boat. What model cabin is yours, mid or long cabin? Galley layout? Looking forward to pics.
          "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Did you get a title with the boat? Would be a good idea to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill V View Post
              Yours is a 77 model boat and having twin engines will most likely be 305/228hp versions, although it could be 350'260hp ones too. If you were closer I would loan you my trailer as mine is on blocks in my shop presently. As memory serves me 1976 was the first year of the 28' boat. What model cabin is yours, mid or long cabin? Galley layout? Looking forward to pics.
              I checked the engines, and found that they are twin 350's. I don't know how to tell if it's a mid or long cabin. Entering the galley there is a range and microwave just inside the door to the left. The sink is next to them in the left corner. Along the left side is an 'L' shaped bench seat and table. The seat is about six feet long by four feet, and ends at the V-berth door. In the forward right corner is the captain's chair and all of the controls. Behind it is the fridge, then closet, head, and the door.

Comment

Originally posted by 18ftTrophy View Post
                Did you get a title with the boat? Would be a good idea to get it.
                I did not get a title, although I do have the original registration. I don't know what kind of hassles I'm going to run into since I don't have a title. Any idea? I've never tried to register a boat (or a car for that matter) without the title.

Comment

Yours is a mid cabin with what is referred to as "layout A" if memory serves me correctly, same as mine. I would try to get a bill of sale from whoever is giving you the boat, exchange $1 for it too. It'll help you when you apply for a lost title. If the person giving you the boat isn't the previous owner he can't legally give the boat to you unless "all property" left after foreclosure became his.. Being that the boat was on property that was foreclosed on you're getting into a "sticky area" The former owner could come back and lay claim to the boat. Suggest you consult legal advice on how you can gain the title. Oregon laws may differ from Washington.
                  Last edited by Bill V; 08-14-2016, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Bill V has sound advice. In Wa. (I don't know about Or.) a property owner can legally sell anything left on there land for a certain amount of time. Do some research with Or. DMV or DOL. If who gave you the boat knows who owned it before try to get a lost title release form from them.

Comment

Jmcnab

Congratulations on your find. You need to clear up the title before you put much time and money into it. You don't want someone walking up to the boat and saying 'that's old uncle Joe's boat that he told me I could have someday'. You want to have a clear title.
                      Would like to have the HIN after you get the title secured. If you will PM the number to me now, I can tell you if the boat is in our registry.
                      Last edited by Socal; 08-16-2016, 11:51 PM.
                      The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin . SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Originally posted by Socal View Post
                        Would like to have the HIN after you get the title secured. If you will PM the number to me now, I can tell you if the boat is in our registry.
                        He snuck it in earlier in the thread, Jim. Here it is: GPL28040M77L
                        -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                        1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                        1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

Comment

Thanks, I missed it. Great weekend by the way! I think everyone had a good time, I did!
                          The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin . SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Originally posted by 18ftTrophy View Post
                            Bill V has sound advice. In Wa. (I don't know about Or.) a property owner can legally sell anything left on there land for a certain amount of time. Do some research with Or. DMV or DOL. If who gave you the boat knows who owned it before try to get a lost title release form from them.
                            Sounds like good advice guys, thanks. I'll do some research and make sure I get it done right before moving it and investing too much time or money.

Comment

Pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1634.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	52399Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	52400Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	52401Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1641.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	52402
                              Last edited by nova7163; 08-16-2016, 04:45 PM. Reason: ROTATED YOUR PICTURES

Comment

Working...
                              X