New glasply owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New glasply owner

New member, new to me 74 Glasply 2300. Planning a refresh/ rebuild with outboard conversion. I'm Planning to do the work myself, I've done some glass work but am in no way an expert. I have a fair amount of fabrication and welding experience, I plan to build the motor bracket as well unless I find a screaming deal on one already complete.

Any and all input is appreciated even if its not what I want to hear...i want to hear it.

Boat is a 74, was twin 140hp mercruiser equiped, hour meters show 509 and 513. 500hrs on a 40yo boat? It obviously sat allot. Both motors are stuck, but there have to be usable parts for someone on them? I'll post on the classifieds. FREE MERCRUISER 140 X2. Both legs had been pulled and I did not get them.

Hull seems to be in fantastic condition. Someone has "completed" some "fixin" in the interior in a few places, no pics of that yet.

It has the belly tank and saddle tanks. Belly tank is steel, starboard tank is steel and port tank is poly?

Are the steel tanks worth reusing? Looks to be coated with something, blue color, looks thick.

I would like to fish this next summer, 8 months to get it fishable. We'll see I guess.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Fantastic, glad you found us and saved a classic from uncertain demise!! Welcome!

Comment

Welcome!!!

I would dump the tanks and go Poly.

Comment

Glad to read about another classic being rebuilt and used again. Word of caution, before you dump in lots of hours in labor plus the dollars spent to repower it I suggest you verify the quality of the wood stringers and transom. A 74 Glasply 2300 is 46 years old and almost all wood stringer boats have rot eventually. Not saying yours does but it's a shame to repower it and then find the stringers are in need of replacement. Much cheaper and easier now.
        "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill V View Post
          Glad to read about another classic being rebuilt and used again. Word of caution, before you dump in lots of hours in labor plus the dollars spent to repower it I suggest you verify the quality of the wood stringers and transom. A 74 Glasply 2300 is 46 years old and almost all wood stringer boats have rot eventually. Not saying yours does but it's a shame to repower it and then find the stringers are in need of replacement. Much cheaper and easier now.
          Definitely in the plans to give a full inspection. Transom will be demoed and rebuilt complete. With 2 outdrive holes to fill, I'm not patching it together. Completely rebuilt new transom except for the skin.

Comment

I just did an infill on an outdrive hole. It is in the shop now for the installation of an aluminum bracket. The transom was sound and needed only a little structural addition for strength. They were built well, anxious to get it back and hang a new outboard on it. Much smaller than yours, but a fun project. Click image for larger version

Name:	interior 2.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	68378
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt runner View Post
              I just did an infill on an outdrive hole. It is in the shop now for the installation of an aluminum bracket. The transom was sound and needed only a little structural addition for strength. They were built well, anxious to get it back and hang a new outboard on it. Much smaller than yours, but a fun project. Click image for larger version

Name:	interior 2.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	68378
              What shop is doing your bracket? Estimate?

I'm in the planning stage. I have another boat to prep for sale them a archery season, then the Glasply.

Comment

Forgot the obligatory HIN addition.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks for posting the HIN Quinault, you are new eligible to receive the secret password and handshake at the next Rendezvous. Hope you can attend and show off your restored GP!
                  The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin . SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

There is shop outside of Portland that did the tower and right now is in the process of doing the bracket. I got a boat show deal of around $3200 for both. They have done 2 towers now for me and I have seen some of their work on fabbing brackets, but none on a fiberglass hull. I laminated 3 layers of 3/4" treated ply, glued and clamped, then cross screwed. I used epoxy on the perimeter inside and bondoed and glassed it on the outside. It was water tested by me and them primed on the ext. There will be a near full width alum. backplate that the bracket will be fitted against and welded to with a flotation pod down to just above the drain plug. A matching alum. gusset will go on the inside and through bolted. Outside plate will be completely sealed against fiberglass transom so the infill will be redundant, but I had to do it that way. New Honda 115HP will mount about 24" behind transom. It will have a swim platform and a kicker bracket will be a part of the package as will a ladder. I should have pics to add in about 3 weeks. It will have a ton of floor space with the Volvo removed, not sure how I will layout the int. just yet. Did a complete gut of the int. and will be rewiring it totally. This will Click image for larger version

Name:	strongback.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	68569 be my Lake Roosevelt boat for years to come hopefully, may not see the salt but one never knows. This pic is a bit of reinforcement I did down into the motor well. all epoxied in and glassed, I might add to it after the bracket is placed.

Comment

can't wait to see your progress
                      1980 Glasply 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT
                      1975 Glasply 19.5' Cuddy Merc 488 190 hp
                      1997 Campion 525 Open Bow Ski Merc 125 hp outboard
                      14' Inflatable sailboat
                      16' Colman Fastback canoe

Comment

Official build will not start until probably November. Study time now. Been reading as much as possible about boat building and glassing. Material, techniques, tools. Biggest questions are, from what I see, the same questions everyone else battles with.
                        Wood?? Or no wood?? Epoxy, vinyl, Poly? Foam? No foam?

Lots to decide on before ordering material.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt runner View Post
                          There is shop outside of Portland that did the tower and right now is in the process of doing the bracket. I got a boat show deal of around $3200 for both. They have done 2 towers now for me and I have seen some of their work on fabbing brackets, but none on a fiberglass hull. I laminated 3 layers of 3/4" treated ply, glued and clamped, then cross screwed. I used epoxy on the perimeter inside and bondoed and glassed it on the outside. It was water tested by me and them primed on the ext. There will be a near full width alum. backplate that the bracket will be fitted against and welded to with a flotation pod down to just above the drain plug. A matching alum. gusset will go on the inside and through bolted. Outside plate will be completely sealed against fiberglass transom so the infill will be redundant, but I had to do it that way. New Honda 115HP will mount about 24" behind transom. It will have a swim platform and a kicker bracket will be a part of the package as will a ladder. I should have pics to add in about 3 weeks. It will have a ton of floor space with the Volvo removed, not sure how I will layout the int. just yet. Did a complete gut of the int. and will be rewiring it totally. This will Click image for larger version

Name:	strongback.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	68569 be my Lake Roosevelt boat for years to come hopefully, may not see the salt but one never knows. This pic is a bit of reinforcement I did down into the motor well. all epoxied in and glassed, I might add to it after the bracket is placed.
                          Thanks for the pics. Please update with pics of the bracket when you get it.

Comment

I will. There are a couple of threads on this site about other owners who have added brackets. There must be a Seattle area shop that does fiberglass builds. I think they are mostly above water line pods. Mine will add some floatation. I got the idea of the pic I posted with the plywood stiffener in the last photo. His was a bit different, but similar. I want to overdue it as it is just my labor and materials I have on hand. These Glasply's are built very well.

Comment

RE: fiberglass brackets

I know a few guys on here have had PDR out of Bellingham build brackets. I've spoken to Dwayne on a couple of occasions. Seems like a nice and knowledgeable fellow.

http://www.pooderbuilt.com/
                              1978 17' Runabout - AQ120B/270
                              1978 23' Cuddy

Comment

Working...
                              X