No announcement yet.

New glasply owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been agonizing over 2 options. Transom mount with my own euro transom build or go with the bracket?

I have read everything that Google could lead me to about bracket performance. I have allot of time in offshore boats that had splash wells with the outboard mounted directly to the transom. They were 28ft Koffler Bay Bees, aluminum boats. I worked on them in Cook inlet for over 15 seasons over a 20 year period.

I have read of the potential complications associated with using brackets, poor reversing, poor handing in a following sea, cavitation or ventilation in a turn, porposing. And then there is the cost associated with the build or purchase of the bracket itself. I'm not sure I'll be running this boat at speeds where the performance increases that a bracket provides would be noticeable. How often can you run at sustained speeds over 30?

Can you tell that I'm talking myself out of using a bracket?? To cut or not to cut?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
      Would there be any issue putting drain holes spaced along the entire stringer starting in the berth area?
      They are really only needed at the lowest point to allow any moisture that got in there a way out.
      -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
      1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
      1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

Mark my words: It will be dark again by nightfall.

Comment

Hello,

I have an 85 24' which I was told has always been an O/B and still has the original bracket. I don't see any evidence of this not being true.

It is a tubular gil bracket. With my 225 optimax WOT (5100-5500rpm) run between 36-40mph depending on conditions.

Here is a photo of the bracket.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	C8DA71FD-2100-40B4-8624-F561B54B7AA4.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	70096
        1985 24' Glasply Marauder O/B (Salt Chuck II formerly Lee Dee) - 2000 225 Mercury Optimax DFI

Comment

Did I answer your question Q?
          1985 24' Glasply Marauder O/B (Salt Chuck II formerly Lee Dee) - 2000 225 Mercury Optimax DFI

Comment

Originally posted by ndwelton View Post
            Did I answer your question Q?
            Yes, thank you. I replied in your thread.

Comment

My father talked me off the ledge. Not gonna cut the transom, committed to the bracket!!

Questions for those who have run them.

Hull extension style or a bracket that steps up?? I know a member here was fighting porposing after a bracket install. His was a hull extension style.

Any input on which is preferable?

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Grinder bite!? I have no complaints Of the two step up type brackets I have installed other than a little porpoising but I think trim tabs will help that. Sounds like the hull extension has that Issue too though.
                  19' runabout with bracket and 150 Johnson. 21' cuddy with bracket and 2003 ficht 200.

Comment

Looking again at your build thread. I am also a retired union carpenter/superintendent. Spent majority of my time in the Portland area, moved east to dry out. My project has been sitting a while, weather issues. I really need a shop. Have my bracket and new Honda on, haven't run it yet but soon. The main thing I need to deal with now is how to properly elevate the cavitation plate to compensate the raised pod, as it is not aligned with the hull. Mine is about 24" deep and the bottom of the pod is at least 6" above the hull profile. It is too low now, but since I haven't even run it yet I have some discovery to do before any adjustment is made. My Glasply is an 18 footer, 1981 and the electrical rework is maybe 40% complete. Looking to get back at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rdub View Post
                      Grinder bite!? I have no complaints Of the two step up type brackets I have installed other than a little porpoising but I think trim tabs will help that. Sounds like the hull extension has that Issue too though.
                      Yes grinder bite. Flap wheel smoked thru my CR glove instantly. I could see my knuckle joint! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt runner View Post
                        Looking again at your build thread. I am also a retired union carpenter/superintendent. Spent majority of my time in the Portland area, moved east to dry out. My project has been sitting a while, weather issues. I really need a shop. Have my bracket and new Honda on, haven't run it yet but soon. The main thing I need to deal with now is how to properly elevate the cavitation plate to compensate the raised pod, as it is not aligned with the hull. Mine is about 24" deep and the bottom of the pod is at least 6" above the hull profile. It is too low now, but since I haven't even run it yet I have some discovery to do before any adjustment is made. My Glasply is an 18 footer, 1981 and the electrical rework is maybe 40% complete. Looking to get back at it.
                        If you don't mind...share a few pics of your bracket?? Who built it?? I'm a couple weeks away from starting that portionof the build.

Still haven't found a trailer.... People want a mint for galvanized framerails sitting on crap tires and wasted bearings.

Comment

From my personal experience you need to raise the motor so the cavitation plate is 1” higher for every 10” setback as a starting point. Both my brackets are 30” setback and the are 3.5-4” above the keel. The higher you can get it without experiencing cavitation.
                          19' runabout with bracket and 150 Johnson. 21' cuddy with bracket and 2003 ficht 200.

Comment

Also if your in the middle of your electrical and you plan on running two batteries look into the add a battery plus kit from blue sea. It has a built in dual bank charger and it isolates the batteries when they are not charging.

Comment

Working...
                            X