Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been looking for a new boat for awhile. Got lucky and one popped up on CL when I was in a way for work in WA state. Bought it.

Now I'm looking to get it north to Prince William Sound! 28' LC . She is a gem of a boat!

Last edited by O.clarkii; 09-21-2022, 09:39 PM. Reason: Photo

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Welcome to the world of Glasply's and to the forum, that looks like a beauty! As a fellow owner of a 28' LC, would love to see some more photo's and specs (engines, etc) also, we ask that you post your HIN number for our archives.

Comment

Thanks W2G.

HIN GPL 28046M81-82K-10

she is powered by twin TMAD31F-A . I believe these are 150 HP w/o the turbo. These are the turbo variety which I think bring HP up to 165? Neat 4 cylinder engines and they have 600 hours on them so plenty of life left with regular maintenance!

Comment

Congratulations, nice boat, great value! I am pretty sure that engine tops out at 150 HP in the supercharged turbo version. All that in a 4 cylinder is a great power to weight package. 12-13 cruise, 20 knot WOT? (If this is the boat I am thinking of) when are you planning to bring it up? Boating or trailer?

Comment

Originally posted by Howsounder View Post
            Congratulations, nice boat, great value! I am pretty sure that engine tops out at 150 HP in the supercharged turbo version. All that in a 4 cylinder is a great power to weight package. 12-13 cruise, 20 knot WOT? (If this is the boat I am thinking of) when are you planning to bring it up? Boating or trailer?
            Waiting for quote from barge service. That will dictate when and how I bring it up. If it goes on the barge I will have it here this winter. If not, I will bring it up under power in May/June with the family!

Comment

$12,000+ to barge! Guess I'll drive it up

Comment

Originally posted by O.clarkii View Post
                $12,000+ to barge! Guess I'll drive it up
                At $5/gal that’s 2400gals of fuel! I’d enjoy your cruise!
                Glas-Hawk
                Current Fleet - 1978 VIP w/4.3 V6 Merc (Glas-Hawk)
                1976 28ft w/twin Yanmars - Kaulquappe

Previous Affairs
                1977 17 w/115 Merc Tower of Power
                1980 2100SL w/470 Merc
                1977 2100SL w/470 Merc
                1979 18'6" "Donzi-Ply" w/470 Merc
                1980 181 Runabout w/470 Mercruiser

1980 8'6" Dinghy w/2 OP (oar power)
                2002 10ft w/15hp Mer 4 stroke

Comment

I had a Bayliner 4588 (45 feet) planing at about 9-10 knots with a pair of 120 HP yanmars, so smaller lighter less hp, can work. Top speed was 14 knots, down just 2 knots from its Hino’s 500 hp spec. Part of the way I “tricked” the boat into planing so slow, was a pair of huge non adjustable tabs. Made the boat think it was 2 feet longer, and moved the effective centre of weight forward. (Only while planing) Less weight and those tabs kept it way flatter, without the squatting those and many heavy cruisers do at less than WOT. I suspect you might get a couple extra knots of cruise with a much bigger set of tabs with that cool power package on your boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Howsounder View Post
                    I had a Bayliner 4588 (45 feet) planing at about 9-10 knots with a pair of 120 HP yanmars, so smaller lighter less hp, can work. Top speed was 14 knots, down just 2 knots from its Hino’s 500 hp spec. Part of the way I “tricked” the boat into planing so slow, was a pair of huge non adjustable tabs. Made the boat think it was 2 feet longer, and moved the effective centre of weight forward. (Only while planing) Less weight and those tabs kept it way flatter, without the squatting those and many heavy cruisers do at less than WOT. I suspect you might get a couple extra knots of cruise with a much bigger set of tabs with that cool power package on your boat.
                    It does have trim tabs.... But how big are we talking to get some more performance? Any downside to bigger tabs?

Comment

Mine, on that boat were 24” deep and about 3 feet long each. I could not find any downside, even in following seas. I ran the boat with and without them. Without them, it would not really plane at all. Roughly double the existing surface area is where I would start. Maybe leave the tabs alone but add static tabs inboard of the existing ones? I took pictures of the wake before, and at WOT there was maybe a couple feet of glassy water, then it kinda exploded into froth. After the tabs went on the wake was glassy all the way back, and speed went up from 9 to 14

Comment

Originally posted by O.clarkii View Post

It does have trim tabs.... But how big are we talking to get some more performance? Any downside to bigger tabs?
                        We've mentioned before on the forum, particularly with 28's. These boats do NOT like following quarter seas, especially with the tabs deployed. IF you encounter this type of sea condition, best to bring the tabs fully up..

Comment

Originally posted by weigh2go View Post

We've mentioned before on the forum, particularly with 28's. These boats do NOT like following quarter seas, especially with the tabs deployed. IF you encounter this type of sea condition, best to bring the tabs fully up..
                          I agree, these 28s can be scary in a following heavy sea.

Comment

I learned QUICK no bow down on trim tabs in following seas. Thought I was going deep sea diving!!!

Comment

Agree with the other comments here. First time I took a wave on stern quarter in my 28 it really scared me. Boat took a hard dive and listed badly which felt even worse from the fly bridge. Adjust speed and tabs to match the wave period and you'll be ok.
                              1986 Glasply 28' long cabin

Comment

Working...
                              X