Oberon's new canvas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oberon's new canvas.

Our recent storm wreaked havoc on Obie's ancient canvas. Luckily I have a superb resource here; boater herself (sailor, though ) and quite reasonable as to terms. Still, a serious outlay of hard to come by "boat bucks." (And Binford, all boating expenses are above board! The better half always knows, although she may not always agree . . .)
    Attached Files
    2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running

that is a cool layout, i see why it cost a bit of boat bucks
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Looks great and sturdy. Do the cockpit / flybridge sections stand independently?
      1986 Glasply 28' long cabin

Comment

Kisutch, the top consists of three pieces: the bimini over the flybridge, the bimini over the cockpit, and a connecting piece with a large window (so you can see what's behind you when driving from the upper helm). Both the flybridge bimini and the cockpit bimini can stand independently. I never take the flybridge bimini down, but the cockpit bimini can be folded back. You have to remove the connecting piece to do that. I have to admit that it's a pain in the butt to take down and put up.
        2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running

Comment

Looks great! I've always wanted a rear enclosure for Appella.
          Your WAR will go up when the wife realizes she can stay dry, hanging out in the cockpit.

What's the snubber line draped over the top for?

Comment

Crash, you can't really see it, but there's a bird abatement device on top of the helm canvas. It's a little sand bag with several wires sticking out of it. Those spin around in the wind and -- hopefully -- frighten birds away. The line is to secure it in place. I've also tried a plastic falcon, and one of the balloons that have reflective eyes. The birds laughed.

Our marina has a monstrous bird problem, and the top of the upper helm canvas is covered in you-know-what. I've been trying hard to clean it, but can't really get to it. When the rains are over I'll have to remove it, scrub it, and then probably put some new waterproofing on it.

Comment

Mr. Smee,
              Can you share the name and number of your canvas maker? Also, can you give me an idea of the overall cost?
              Thank you kind Sir. I'm ready!
              Wally
              Ocean Fury

Comment

Sure, Wally, but remember that my boat's in Redwood City, California. Quite honestly, you should find someone local. The maker I used came to the boat to take careful measurements, and I doubt she'd agree to take on a job without the opportunity to size it up personally. For instance, she insisted that I reset the frame -- she convinced me that it was out of alignment, something that you couldn't really tell just be looking at it. Anyway, PM me if you still want details. You can get a sense of her work at www.bluebirdcanvas.com.

Best of luck,
                Mr. Smee

Comment

Mr Smee,
                  You are correct.For some reason I was thinking you were in the NW...
                  I'll get info form a few local places on the canvas.
                  Thanks again,
                  Wally

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                    Mr Smee,
                    You are correct.For some reason I was thinking you were in the NW...
                    I'll get info form a few local places on the canvas.
                    Thanks again,
                    Wally
                    I used to use a mobile guy named Mark. Ontario Canvas is his business, true artist and been doing it a long time.

Comment

Working...
                    X