Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet up prior to the Rendezvous? Looking for local knowledge...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet up prior to the Rendezvous? Looking for local knowledge...

Since we are towing our boat up from Oregon, my wife and I are going to come up on Sunday the 12th and explore the area from the water. This has been a part of my sales territory for over 30 years, but we've never explored it on the water before.
    It would be great if we could meet some of the local's who might give us some guidance as to where we can take our 18 foot runabout safely up there, and then where we should go to have some fun on the water, and where to look for boat ramps, etc... Not to mention meeting somebody before the event since this is our first time with this group.
    We'll be staying at the Cap Sante Inn there right across from the Marina.
    Just a thought! Lot of time to consider it. Be great if we could meet before the big event. Thanks!
    GlasPly72PDX
    Play'n Hooky
    1972 GlasPly 171 Runabout
    Mercruiser 120 I/O

We should be pulling into Cap Sante on about Aug 15/16 prior to the rendezvous after being "up North" ( northern Vancouver Island area) for a month. Absolutely feel free to come down and meet/greet. We also tow from Oregon and FYI, Cap Sante does have a sling and parking if you want to sling your boat in instead of locating a ramp. But I'm sure there are "free" ramps in the area also. You can basically take your 18' anywhere in the Sound/Islands as long as you watch the weather, might get a little bumpy with some spray on windy days.

Comment

Thanks Weigh2go! Look forward to meeting you! I think we'll use Cap Sante during the Rendezvous, but will try to find a nearby boat ramp during the earlier part of the week. Saves some money that way. (Maybe...) Perhaps I should contact Cap Sante Marina and ask if they have a weekly rate... Hadn't thought about that until now. The sling would cost the same either way. It's just trailer parking and slip fee's... Hmmm... As far as spray on the windshield, and bumpy goes. We're used to the Columbia and Willamette Rivers, so chop isn't an issue. But, this will be BIG Water as they say... Don't want to get swamped because we were dumb and tried to go where we had no business with such little boat.
      GlasPly72PDX
      Play'n Hooky
      Mercruiser 120 I/O

Comment

Actually, some of the roughest water I've been in was the Columbia River from Hood River to the John Day. High winds East meeting current west... extremely steep and short wave duration..
        Doubt you'll be going to the Straits of Juan De Fuca or Strait of Georgia, so most of the area you're talking about isn't that big of water, so don't worry too much. Just watch tidal changes and wind (afternoon wind picks up) and you should be able to see and do as much as you want in the San Juans. Guarantee once you experience it, you'll wonder why you worried about it. There's a million (exaggerated) 18' boats running around the Sound and some definitely not as battle proven as the Glasply...

Comment

Thanks for that tip! appreciate it. Yep, the mighty Columbia does get a bit bumpy doesn't it! Last year I actually had aluminum boats following me along during one particularly rough afternoon. We were headed northwest toward Warrior Rock near St Helens. Hooky just pointed into the chop and kept on going, whereas the aluminum boats were bouncing and struggling to keep up...
          You know, if we ever could, we should try to meet here on the Columbia some time. I've seen one other Glasply on the Willamette River last year - it was a yellow 19 footer...
          GlasPly72PDX
          Play'n Hooky
          Mercruiser 120 I/O

Comment

The hardest, worst ride I ever had was in a Duckworth out of Astoria, thought I was going to break my back..
            Our first trip in a Glasply was in our 1977 23' (which we still have) down the Willamette river, through the locks after we picked it up at Oregon City Marine. Purchased it at the Portland Boat show. Great trip! So yes, we would be in for doing that some day. Want to make the trip up the Columbia to Lewiston, lots to see according to my folks who did the entire trip in the 23'.

Comment

PDX and Weigh2go, I plan to be in Ancarotes on Thursday night. Let's plan on dinner or at least a beer somewhere.
              2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Smee View Post
                PDX and Weigh2go, I plan to be in Ancarotes on Thursday night. Let's plan on dinner or at least a beer somewhere.
                Absolutely!!

Comment

Yes! A good idea sir.
                  GlasPly72PDX
                  Play'n Hooky
                  Mercruiser 120 I/O

Comment

Unfortunately, we have had to cancel our plans to attend this years Rendezvous, since our boat Hooky must go in the shop that week to have its lower shift cable assy replaced. Hopefully this will resolve once and for all our issue with low speed operations engine cut out. We have asked that our Registration fee be used to help everyone have a good time at the Rendezvous! We'll be there in spirit anyhow! Enjoy it!
                    GlasPly72PDX
                    Play'n Hooky
                    Mercruiser 120 I/O

Comment

72PDX
                      Go Boatless! You will be amazed about what a good time you can have.
                      The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin . SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

Originally posted by Socal View Post
                        72PDX
                        Go Boatless! You will be amazed about what a good time you can have.
                        Yeah, what he said!
                        -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                        1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                        1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

Relieving people of the burden of freedom in order to make them feel safe is a recurring theme in the history of authoritarianism.
                        --Frank Furedi

Comment

Thanks guys. We wanted to get out on the water up there on our boat. I travel up to the Seattle area almost monthly on business. We were looking to spend time on the water, you know? Something that we haven't really done up there before. No. We'll hopefully get Hooky repaired, and then test here out down here on our local rivers to make sure that we have her fixed once and for all for low speed maneuvering so that we can come up next year and join you.
                          GlasPly72PDX
                          Play'n Hooky
                          Mercruiser 120 I/O

Comment

That's a bummer for sure..

Comment

no better place to bring hooky with all the mechanics there, just saying
                              1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Working...
                              X