Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weigh2go View Post

You didn't mention plug wires...??
    or ignition module in distributor? pertronix flavor stuff can show failure like that, or condenser if you're a points guy? Gotta love a good electrical gremlin

Comment

Maybe a good one to move over to the mechanical posts. Had a similar situation with one of my prior Kodiaks...

Comment

Enjoyed see everyone and especially enjoyed a piece of the berry pie and ice cream Angela offered me. Between the peach pie of Linda's and Angela's berry pie my need of a great pie were well taken cared of. Still curious why she doesn't age while Carl does. What's her secret? Had a great time meeting Andy and his charming wife too.
        "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Jearl was there too, but as with Appella and Iceman, was assigned a slip on the far north end of the marina. That, and the lack of the party barge, made for a very informal gathering.

Jennifer and I have the Cardinal moored at the Bremerton Yacht Club for the summer, which is nice. Just hop in with the L.L.Bean “Cardinal” bag loaded with what we need for the day and head out! We cruised up to Anacortes Friday, stopping for lunch in La Conner, then dropped the two crab pots we brought along, before making our appearance at Cap Sante. It was a tight fit in that slip with JBS, but our outdrives didn’t get into a fight, so that was good.

The boat ran great the whole time, which seems to have been an oddity. Even Jearl had to sling out to get a new prop after a rock introduced itself to his previous one over by the fuel dock!

One weird thing though.... I have cruised up to Anacortes three times now and each and every time, as I am in the waters east of Whidbey Island, the Raymarine chart plotter flitzes out. The map screen will suddenly turn white, then try to reload the map, then flash white again, repeat once or twice more, then the chart plotter reboots and then the process starts all over again. It only happens there. Never anywhere else. On the return trip I found that if I zoom in fairly close, it holds. So maybe there’s just so much data in that area or something? Dunno.... I updated the software this spring too, thinking maybe that would fix it. But no. (Hey, if anyone here uses and knows their way around Raymarine product, shoot me an email or PM. I’ve got some other weird things going on when it boots up I’d like to figure out.)

Crabbing was nice! We got a total of 12 keepers and only a couple of females and maybe 3 or 4 undersized males along with one really ugly, barnacle-covered red rock crab. Actually we had 13 keepers, but we hit our limit and the one that went back in was barely a keeper for one thing and missing a front pincher leg for another.

Brent (JBS) built a box for his crab steamer setup that he brought in his truck. He’s built it to perfectly fit the propane burner base, pot and steamer basket, along with sundry pieces so it all works, such as a large cutting board he sets on the top of the box with that new crab splitter tool that was posted about on the forum a while back. Works pretty slick! So Brent set up his apparatus Saturday so Jennifer and I could cook the crab we got on Saturday (pictured above in the shot of me in the cockpit of the Cardinal). Thanks again for letting us use that, Brent!

In case anyone is interested/curious (and to perhaps make the 28-owners weep), the trip from Cap Sante, up to Jack Island to pull our two pots, then up and around the north end of Guemes Island then through Deception Pass all the way back to BYC, that entire trip took 4 hours and 40 minutes covering 97.3 statute miles and, if the FlowScan is to be believed (which is usually surprisingly accurate, though probably indicating a slightly higher than actual fuel consumption), burned 38.7 gallons of fuel.

The trip up there to Anacortes took 3 hours and 15 minutes to La Conner, plus another hour and a half to get up to Jack Island to drop pots, then get to Cap Sante, for a total cruise time of 4 hours 45 minutes, covered 91.1 statute miles and consumed 36.5 gallons of fuel. (It appears the long, slow trudge through the no-wake Swinomish Channel at least helps a bit with fuel consumption!) (On second thought, the mpg works out to 2.514 vs. 2.495, so really not much difference.)

Now as you 28ers wipe your eyes dry, just remember that life on board the Cardinal is a lot like tent camping! Yeah, we have a “galley” and can heat up water for coffee or fry some eggs, but ain’t no pies gettin’ baked on our boat. The head is a porta-potti we really only use for emergencies. Pretty rustic living. But still a fun boat and we are both glad we were able to make the trip! We enjoyed catching up with some of our fellow Glasplyigians and look forward to next year....

....where we can all show off our “Anti-Rendezvous” event plaques! (TBA) 😝
          -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
          1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
          1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

Mark my words: It will be dark again by nightfall.

Comment

As most of you know by now, if you don’t post pics, it didn’t happen....

Here are some random shots that Jennifer and I took along the way.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EA587AC5-B6BF-4503-897B-B059921B076E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	68313Click image for larger version  Name:	B10FA48A-078B-4788-B312-F1CDEA6D8F71.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	86.0 KB ID:	68314

Click image for larger version  Name:	9226D9AA-7030-4BCB-9C1D-1A00E39401A3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	94.9 KB ID:	68315Click image for larger version  Name:	72E16C8B-0F7D-4B33-B126-67448E4BEC19.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	68316
            Click image for larger version  Name:	1F3C7F17-C3DA-4505-9465-F2700DABFB9F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	299.8 KB ID:	68317 Click image for larger version  Name:	FD0A8B29-23ED-4534-B380-FF20CB5C17FB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	68328
            -- Tim Taylor

Comment

The crabbing wasn’t too bad for us this year....

Click image for larger version  Name:	32853BA5-7078-4D20-AE5E-47D224AA71C6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	137.2 KB ID:	68319Click image for larger version  Name:	F91F2AB9-AFA2-47A9-A9BE-128BC7401725.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	68320Click image for larger version  Name:	B68AD447-30EE-4493-ABFE-76272B29E729.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	87.7 KB ID:	68321
              Camping life, I’m telling ya.... I look so “dainty” there, don’t I?!

Click image for larger version  Name:	F8B3CB44-0BC5-4FBD-B634-0E2BA86CA534.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	68322Click image for larger version  Name:	D80B17FF-BEEF-4603-839C-75F25C5D5424.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	68323

That last shot is of Bill and Linda aboard Joint Venture right after Bill got snapped at by Linda for talking with us and not coming down to help her secure the pot line she just hooked! Lol..... Nice shot of the boat though, I thought.
              -- Tim Taylor

Comment

I think Joel and Josh went in on a new Glasply together, but didn’t even tell us about it! 😆

Click image for larger version

Name:	C47D270A-89B5-4B7F-80E5-67F639D6A064.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	68325
                -- Tim Taylor

Comment

And many of you remember Ola’s 24-foot Little Bird, don’t you? Well, Little Bird is all grown up now!

Name:	A65DBB05-621F-4EB7-AEE3-6702E7F4D001.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	68327

-- Tim Taylor

Comment

I was there in spirit. Wish we could have made it down this year and meet some of you in person.

Name:	20200514_104443.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	68332
                    Attached Files
                    1980 Glasply 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT
                    1975 Glasply 19.5' Cuddy Merc 488 190 hp
                    1997 Campion 525 Open Bow Ski Merc 125 hp outboard
                    14' Inflatable sailboat
                    16' Colman Fastback canoe

Comment

What's funny about your "28" comments Tim, is that some of my most fond memories was spending weeks at a time on board our 23' with my parents with nary a complaint! Not a peep about the confined quarters, in fact, in those days, I thought the 23' was a huge boat and I was 6'4 and 15 yrs-18 yrs old. Even our original tow vehicle was a 3/4 ton Ford standard cab. Some of the funnest times in my life. Mom cooked great meals, we fished, crabbed, clammed, cruised in fog, rain and sun. Only time we EVER went to a marina was for a shower, fuel and supplies..Boy, have times changed regarding crew complaints and comfort, even on a 28'..
                      But, I can do that trip you just did in half the time and with nasty sea conditions....LOL . (jealous about the fuel though)

Comment

Originally posted by weigh2go View Post
                        But, I can do that trip you just did in half the time and with nasty sea conditions....LOL . (jealous about the fuel though)
                        In half the time? What speed do you cruise at? We cruise at about 3500 RPM at 23 knots or so. At least for 3 minutes at a time until some boat wake makes us slow down and turn into it....!

Your other comments about a small boat may also have something to do with the age of the occupants. Jennifer and I have done the camping thing a long, long time and now we yearn for more creature comforts.
                        -- Tim Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Binford View Post

In half the time? What speed do you cruise at? We cruise at about 3500 RPM at 23 knots or so. At least for 3 minutes at a time until some boat wake makes us slow down and turn into it....!

Your other comments about a small boat may also have something to do with the age of the occupants. Jennifer and I have done the camping thing a long, long time and now we yearn for more creature comforts.
                          )

It's ok Tim, just having fun with you. But, we do cruise at 3400-3500 RPM at 26.069 knots or 30 mph (sog). My parents were in their 50's when I was with them boating on our 23', of course they're from the "Greatest" generation and a lot tougher than I ever was so creature comforts weren't that important. (but they are to the queen if I'm to keep her interested in boating and enjoying boat (home) cooked meals)

Comment

And pies, apparently....
                            -- Tim Taylor

Comment

thanks for the pics Tim. after getting the prop replaced we ran around Lopez Island and tried to catch a fish or two with the grand daughter. noticed that the boat ran rough every morning for a while and was smoking. as it turns out I found a little condensation on my dipstick so pulled the plugs after we got home and sure enough one of the block off plates for the port riser had leaked. cant wait to install the newer style manifolds and risers as this has been an ongoing issue with the old 78 style set up. got the boat fixed back up and we have been out a couple times since Anacortes and plan on on a Sekiu trip soon.

Comment

"I had an issue that more or less has been happening since I launched the boat in June. Starboard engine just quits and doesn't want to start up right away. I have replaced coil, ballast resistor, distributor cap. rotor, fuel pump from my spare parts I carry on board. I also swapped carb and purchased new ignition switches as mine were 42 yr old originals. Problem still exists, just less often."

chased a similar issue after we first purchased our 23. ended up one of the smaller (primary?) wires to the coil. every time it died I would fiddle around and before knowing what was going on bump it and would make connection. even though insulation intact and looked OK the wire itself was corroded and pretty much gone inside.. you might check it out Bill, I struggled like you for two years but only had one engine to run on....

Comment

Working...
                                X