2014 Rendezvous in pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Rendezvous in pictures

The boys launched our new sit-on-top kayak from the rocky shore of the marina along the parking lot, then paddled around to the Glasply gathering, then later explored the outer edges of the marina picking up several items of interest ranging from discarded water bottles to an old, sun-bleached beach ball, to shells and sundry other bits...

As we wimped out and opted not to tow Chopstick all the way up to Anacortes just for a few hours, kf7gth was gracious enough to bring us out to where he'd dropped his two crab pots earlier that afternoon. We pulled up 7 keepers the first round, then 8 more on our sunset run. Here are a few pics I took of that second excursion....

Mrs. Binford actually enjoyed the ride of a 21-footer as compared with the jerkier, cork-like feeling of the 19.5, so some wheels are spinning now....

-- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

Relieving people of the burden of freedom in order to make them feel safe is a recurring theme in the history of authoritarianism.
    --Frank Furedi

That's a horrible picture of me... Good one.

BTW- pulled my pots after an overnight soak and had to throw back 6 keepers- kept the biggest 5.
    Last edited by kf7gth; 08-10-2014, 02:11 PM.
    I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me....

Comment

Originally posted by kf7gth View Post
      That's a horrible picture of me... Good one.
      Sailorman's revenge!

Originally posted by kf7gth View Post
      BTW- pulled my pots after an overnight soak and had to throw back 6 keepers- kept the biggest 5.
      Dang! Great spot for crabbing! Got some more really good sized ones, did ya? Wish I could find a spot like that around here. You should have brought Mr. Smee and his brother along, eh?

Thanks again for taking us out!
      -- Tim Taylor

Relieving people of the burden of freedom in order to make them feel safe is a recurring theme in the history of authoritarianism.
      --Frank Furedi

Comment

We have a bunch of pictures, when I get time (it's not an easy task to download pictures on this website) I will get them posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Binford View Post
          Mrs. Binford actually enjoyed the ride of a 21-footer as compared with the jerkier, cork-like feeling of the 19.5, so some wheels are spinning now....
          A 28' has an even better ride Tim. Maybe her wheels really need to be turning even more so...................................
          "Joint Venture" '78 midcabin 28, twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Tim,
            Bill's right, even though a 28 is a quantum leap from a 19' just think of the time and boat bucks you will spend fixing up a 21 the way you want it then all of a sudden, you start looking at a 23 and go through the same process again.
            I spent an enjoyable afternoon on the boat today, trying to make the macerator pump work. While working on that the outlet fitting on the water pressure pump let go and wet down the compartment under the settee ...................I still love her though. The day wasn't a total loss, I did top off the fresh water tank. And, as you know, it's a perfect spot for SUP paddler viewing.
            The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin . SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

I've got a typical case of 2-foot-itis, yes. I admit it! (By the way, the wheels that were spinning were mine, not Jennifer's!)

Okay, enough talking. Time for pictures of the Rendezvous! Got a mini-flood of them from Mr. Smee and Weigh2Go within a 20-minute period. Almost like they're conspiring!

Here they are. First Mr. Smee's...

Cardinal in the sling:

Cardinal at the dock:

Anacortes crab:

And a few shots of Weigh2Go in the sling:

That all ya got, guys?! C'mon.... Bring 'em on!
              -- Tim Taylor

--Frank Furedi

Comment

Ahoy, fellow mariners! I made it home safe and sound after another great Rendezvous, and have taken a couple extra days off to clean the gear and put things away. Both Cardinal and the GMC ran superbly well this time around, and the trip was a dream. Unfortunately the family is on a strict rice and beans diet for the next month, however, so I can pay the truck's gas bill. Other than that we're all good.

A brief recap:
                a) We welcomed some new folks, who had heard about the gathering but hadn't registered. They seemed to enjoy the company, and we hope to have them come on board. Carl Rhodes was assiduous in getting people to sign the guest book, so hopefully we can expand our roster.
                b) Carl Koals, proprietor and head wrench of Integrity Marine in Anacortes, gave a nice talk on Saturday afternoon, and then stayed for drinks and dinner to answer questions. If you ever need mechanical help in Anacortes, Carl would be an excellent resource. A smart guy, and a good guy.
                c) Appella (Erik and Christina Mikkelson) were crowned Master Mixologists on Saturday night, as their "MyOhMyTai" carried the day. We had seven contestants, and all the entries were delicious. By the end of the competition, none of the judges was feeling any pain.
                d) If you registered for the Rendezvous and did not get a commemorative dash plate, please let me know. If you did not register but wish you had and would like a dash plate, let me know -- if any are left, they'll go on a first come basis.
                e) I'm no photographer and can't figure out how to post pix, but I have sent a couple of cell phone photos to Binford: Cardinal in the sling; Cardinal at the dock; a day's bounty of crab. If you have photos, please send them to Binford so he can collect them on the site and we'll have a decent record.

All best to you all. I'll look forward to seeing you next year!

The Current and -- face it -- Forever Long Haul Glasply Award Winner,
                Mr. Smee!
                2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running

Comment

Well Mr Smee I think that perhaps I had the shortest and oldest........boat there. I also might have the stupid award too. We fueled up at the marina in Anacortes before we headed back Sunday morning. I did not fill it all the way....but more than enough to get to Bedwell Harbour on Pender Is where we were going to clear customs and refuel and maybe spend the night. No problem with customs but when we went over to the fuel dock there was a sign saying out of fuel! On a summer weekend in August! They said closest was Ganges so off we went on a 1/4 tank. When we got there a half hr later my fuel gage was below empty....I have never come close to running it that dry and never want to experience the tension again! Lesson learned...fill it to the very top every time you fuel up.

Comment

I dunno Postie.... My sources were able to produce this pictorial evidence of you in what appears to be your "old, short boat."

You'll have to let us know how you managed to make your 19.5 look so spacious and roomy inside!
                    -- Tim Taylor

--Frank Furedi

Comment

I could have fit my 19 in the living area on Gary & Michelle's Bayliner. Beautiful boat. I keep buying those tickets.

Comment

Brace yourselves for a Weigh2Go pic-storm!

-- Tim Taylor

--Frank Furedi

Comment

...and it's not over yet!

-- Tim Taylor

--Frank Furedi

Comment

Tim, thank you so much for posting those!!!! Excellent!!

Comment

Binny, I'd like to include some of those in an article I hope to write for our loca Power Squadron. How can I pull them out of the thread? Could you possibly send them to me separately?

Thanks,
                              Senor Smee
                              2013, 2014 & 2015 LD Award Recipient, and Unquestioned World Record Holder for Longest Tow to the Glasply Rendezvous, THREE years running

Comment

Working...
                              X