Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbing aboard

Page 3 of 3
    Recovered thread Climbing Aboard originally posted by Moonraker, start date unknown. Pages 1 and 2 still missing.

Regards,

Archiver

5 Days Ago #21
    Moonraker

Sailorman, I read through a few old posts and realized that your main concern is tippiness and if the outboard/extended transom has decreased the side-to-side stability. In short, yes. Though it feels very stable while running at any decent speed. When trolling or at idle the boat does like "tip" to the side when people move around, net fish, etc. It isn't too noticeable on the back deck but anyone in the cabin will feel a significant lean.

I know that Socal (if he reads this) will eat this up as what I've done is significantly change the center of gravity. Have you tried adding ballast forward or lower in the aft deck where the IB was once placed? I wonder if this would help. After thinking about it some last night, I realized that the previous owner of my boat had built a two-battery compartment under the aft deck. My assumption was that this additional weight slightly forward and lower was to help cancel out the power head. Where I might have also gone wrong during my repower was placing three batteries in the transom compartments (1star, 2 port). That's an extra 120+ lbs aft, which will again alter the CG.

5 Days Ago #22
    username

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
    Sailorman, I read through a few old posts and realized that your main concern is tippiness and if the outboard/extended transom has decreased the side-to-side stability. In short, yes. Though it feels very stable while running at any decent speed. When trolling or at idle the boat does like "tip" to the side when people move around, net fish, etc. It isn't too noticeable on the back deck but anyone in the cabin will feel a significant lean.

I know that Socal (if he reads this) will eat this up as what I've done is significantly change the center of gravity. Have you tried adding ballast forward or lower in the aft deck where the IB was once placed? I wonder if this would help. After thinking about it some last night, I realized that the previous owner of my boat had built a two-battery compartment under the aft deck. My assumption was that this additional weight slightly forward and lower was to help cancel out the power head. Where I might have also gone wrong during my repower was placing three batteries in the transom compartments (1star, 2 port). That's an extra 120+ lbs aft, which will again alter the CG.
    Hi Moonraker welcome aboard

Love your boat.

When I mounted my saltboss kicker mount http://www.saltbossmarine.com/fixedbrackets.html with a 130Lb bigfoot on the transom
    I to had tippyness problems steering sucked Blah blah

my boat 19ft cutty 120hp VP

I placed 210llbs lead in the bow no more problems.

5 Days Ago #23
    sailorman

Send a message via Skype™ to sailorman

Moonraker, I've been battling this issue for a while. I ended up towing the boat to a shipwright down here that specializes in outboard extensions. The one thing that he noticed right off the bat what that the outboard itself was mounted too high. In fact, the outboard is about two inches too high which causes a lot of the problems that I've been having. I've gone and added stabilizing fins on the outside of the chine, but this will only help if the outboard is mounted properly. In most cases, you'd want the outboard high for performance, but in this case it was cause problems like chine walking on the bow (a scary situation if your at speed). Some of my problem is that the placement of the batteries and other things on the boat need to be sorted out. I have not really finished the boat. The interior and the forward bunks are not there so it's going to added to the "tippyness" of the boat at speed or not. I've placed weight all over the place and have experimented with different speeds and trim tab angles combined with certain speeds and it just left me more confused. So, moving the outboard down two inches and finishing the boat is what I'm going to try first. Thanks for getting back to me about the questions I had and I would really like to see your boat in person some day. I actually have been thinking about a 250 E-tec and ever since I saw yours it's made my wanting of that engine even greater. Thanks. Now, have to figure out how to go about paying for it.

5 Days Ago #24
    Binford

Sailorman, what year is the 200 Johnson? Does it run well? I'm thinking it might be the perfect engine for Chopstick II.

If you end up going for a 250 E-tec, we may have to talk....

-- Tim Taylor

1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 (x2)

5 Days Ago #25
    Socal

Socal is reading and eating this up ..................... I am assuming a factory GP outboard hull is relatively stable. The 'tippiness' seem to come with a bracket conversion when the I/O power unit is removed and the OB is moved up and aft. I recall from my old wooden boat racing days porposing came from a 'hook' in the hull bottom. We would also run the engine as high as possible without cavitating. I would think with enough power plus trim tabs, the boat would run level. There's a video on the forum showing an Optimax on a bracketed 21 running flat. That was 'Rooster's boat but I haven't seen him on the forum for some time. Hope you can work out the problems without adding unnecessary weight.

Socal

"Believe me my young friend, there is NOTHNG - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats".
    Kenneth Grahame 'The Wind in the Willows'

5 Days Ago #26
    highwayman52

Welcome aboard Moonraker great looking boat

21' runabout hardtop
    calm winds and following seas
Working...
X