Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish gut station

Page 1 of 2

Recovered Thread: Fish gut station, originally posted by gordo on 07-19-2013. Unfortunately the pic was uploaded to the old site and was not recoverable.

Regards,

Archiver

07-19-2013 #1
    gordo

Fish gut station

Saw this somewhere on the site, I think. Anyway have a buddy that's going to make one for me out of stainless. It will mount off the side rail to extend past the side of the boat and have a drain on the outside corner. He's always interested in some side jobs so if there was any interest out there let me know and I get back to him so he can whip some out. Possibly have some made in time for the rendezvous. He gets the material very cheap for stainless that is, so the cost should be very welcoming.

fish_cleaning_rack.jpg

07-22-2013 #2
    Mr. Smee

I might be interested, gordo. When you can, let me know cost and dimensions. Thanks!

CARDINAL, 1979 21-foot weekender.
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
    (Remember: to err is human; to arrrgh is pirate.) 2013 winner of the Rendezvous LD Award.

07-22-2013 #3
    gordo

Mr. Smee, the Dimensions can vary but what he has is very similar to the photo and around 40" long. I'm going to have mine cut down to about 36". What kind of rail do you have for the mounting, I have the flat rail and he can make the mount for 7/8's or 1" tube rail also. I will check out $$$ and get back to you.

07-22-2013 #4
    Mr. Smee

Forty inches! Man, I wish I was fishing where you guys are fishing! That's longer than I need. Thirty-six would be better if that's the standard he's looking at.

I have a flat rail, and would have to figure out some way to mount and dismount the tray -- I have a cockpit cover that goes over the rail. In point of fact, I might simply use it on the dock and not mount it at all. Thanks for looking into it!

(Remember: to err is human; to arrrgh is pirate.) 2013 winner of the Rendezvous LD Award.

07-22-2013 #5
    gordo

That's the length they come in and he can cut them down. The mount I'm going to use will be flat bar and open on one end so it will slide over the flat rail for easy removal. I have a photo of what he has so far and will post tonight + the flat bar mount I have for a BBQ tray that works great I'll take a photo of that and post tonight too.

07-22-2013 #6
    gordo

Fish cleaning station my buddy is making.. flat bar mounts off my BBQ tray
    Fish cleaning station 2.jpg Fish cleaning station.jpg BBQ tray.jpg

07-23-2013 #7
    gordo

Have 2 of them now. 36" long 4.25" wide at the top and 5" deep side walls. End caps will be welded on this weekend and what ever kind of mount is required. He said its much easier for 7/8 or 1" round rail.

gut station.jpg gut station 2.jpg gut station 3.jpg

07-24-2013 #8
    Mr. Smee

Pretty cool. Does he grind the edges? Not sharp?

I'd need the flat mount that you show on your tray in your first post with pictures. Actually, the tray looks cool in itself, and is almost more tempting. Did your buddy make that?

07-24-2013 #9
    gordo

Yes, he'd smooth any rough edges out when done. The BBQ tray came with the boat. I haven't ask him about that cause I already had it. He is however using that to duplicate the mounts. He still hasn't hit me with a price but I'm not to worried it's usually more than fair.

07-26-2013 #10
    Mr. Smee

Fine. Please keep me posted. Will I see you in Anacortes?

Fish gut station

Page 1 of 2

Recovered Thread: Fish gut station, originally posted by gordo on 07-19-2013. Unfortunately the pics wer uploaded to the old site and were not recoverable.

Regards,

Archiver

Page 2 of 2

3 Weeks Ago #11
    gordo

I'll be there and the fish station has changed a bit due to the fact that you liked the tray. What do you think?

prototype 1.jpg prototype 2.jpg

3 Weeks Ago #12
    Mr. Smee

I think: sweet! Let me know how much. Does he need dimensions for my rail?

3 Weeks Ago #13
    Binford

That stuff looks surprisingly similar to the trough we make for layer cages. Usually made of galvanized steel, though we have made it out of stainless for Tahiti.

-- Tim Taylor

1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 (x2)

3 Weeks Ago #14
    gordo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smee View Post
    I think: sweet! Let me know how much. Does he need dimensions for my rail?
    I would guess your rail is the same as what I have??

rail.jpg

3 Weeks Ago #15
    Mr. Smee

Looks like. Count me in. If he can get it done, I'll pick it up and pay in Anacortes.

3 Weeks Ago #16
    gordo

Mr. Smee I look forward to meeting you and I'll stay on top of it. He shouldn't have a problem gettting it finished. I wont be up there til Saturday so I'll see you then. Still no word on $$$ bt I haven't talked with him in a few days. I'll get him to throw in a free bottle of his homemade apple pie too.

3 Weeks Ago #17
    gordo

Found this online to show the $$ of something similar and this is plastic.

http://www.innovativeresearchsupply....e/prod_5.html#

032409d.jpg

3 Weeks Ago #18
    gordo

Mr. Smee have essentially the final photos. He is however going to add a lip to hold down the UHMW board. It will be able to slide in and out for cleaning.

fish station.jpg fish station 2.jpg fish station 3.jpg fish station 4.jpg

3 Weeks Ago #19
    gordo

I also ran it down to my boat for some photos. I'm very jealous that you are getting the prototype. He might have another one done by the end of the week.

fish station 5.jpg fish station 6.jpg fish station 7.jpg fish station 8.jpg fish station 9.jpg

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	fish station 4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	51230Click image for larger version

Name:	fish station 5.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	51231Click image for larger version

Name:	fish station 7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	51232Click image for larger version

Name:	fish station 9.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	51233Click image for larger version

Name:	fish station.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	51234

These can be made very quickly and sell for $250. They can be made to fit round rail or the flat in the photos.

Comment

Gordo, are you building these? That looks great and I'd love to take a closer look at them for my boat. I really like the fact that once your done cleaning fish you can take the UHMW board off and clean it. That's great!

I'd like to look at the mounting system you have for it so I can see how it would fit on the transom of mine.

Comment

A good friend builds them. The mounts can be changed to just about anything. There is also a set screw for the UHMW to keep it in place. Just let me know what you'd like to do. I'm in Clearview so we could meet in the middle somewhere. Take a photo of where you'd like to mount it and get it to me so the mounts can be worked out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0812.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	51240These are used to mount to a round rail
          Last edited by gordo; 04-05-2014, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Wow, that'd be great. Well, it'll have to be on the back burner for a little while yet. I've taken a new job and go down to Seattle for most of April. After that I'll look to see how much time and money I have to get a fish cleaning station set on board. Thanks Gordo.

Comment

New job?! You're not driving the ferry up there anymore?

Or are you now heading to Seattle for a new skipper position with WSF?!

Oops! Almost left without keeping this message on topic....

With the round rail attachment, what will keep it from turning? My rails are extended-height (like 14" or so above the gunwale), so I imagine the cleaning station would end up dipping down on the outboard side, eh? You couldn't tighten those mounts enough to prevent that, really.

What I ought to do is set up a couple rod holders into the top of the gunwale so the cleaning station could have two angled tubes to slip into them for mounting. Once again, dual-purpose gizmos for the boat!

Let's be sure to catch a fish at the Rendezvous this year so I can see that thing in operation. If it works as well as I imagine it would, I'll probably end up talking Jennifer into letting me get one!
              -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
              1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
              1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

Relieving people of the burden of freedom in order to make them feel safe is a recurring theme in the history of authoritarianism.
              --Frank Furedi

Comment

For the round rail mount he'd tack on 2 round bar then just slip a piece of rubber on the end (like on a door stop). What ever the length that's needed to make it level on the gunwale.

Comment

Gordo,

Thanks for re-posting your pics and fleshing out this recovered thread! It is nice to see the thread come back to life with such interest

Regards,

Will
                  Will Riddle
                  Everett, WA.

Confidence is what you feel before you truly understand the situation...

Comment

I meant to thank you, Will, for your tenacity at digging up more lost threads! How did you ever find them? I thought enough time had passed that even the cache files on Google were gone.
                    -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
                    1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
                    1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

Relieving people of the burden of freedom in order to make them feel safe is a recurring theme in the history of authoritarianism.
                    --Frank Furedi

Comment

Working...
                    X