Windlass for a 23’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windlass for a 23’

I just picked up a Lewmar Pro 700 for my 23’, does anyone know how much rode and chain you can fit in the locker?
    Ideally I need 12” from the top of the rode pile to the deck. Our 28s have plenty of room, but not so sure about a 23’.
    I was thinking 25’ chain and 200’ rode would be good, if it will fit. Windlass specs 1/4” chain and 1/2” line, curious of any of you have experience with this.

I did a ton of thinking about this for the 28. If you can stand the weight I'd do more chain, and 8 plait for the rode because it lays nicer. I ended up doing as much chain as would fall under the windlass reasonably well, and another 200' of rode that I tuck away from the middle pile-basically stuffed it to the sides. That way it's there if you need it, but 99% of the time you just use all chain. Holds better with the catenary, no chafing concerns, and I like the positive feed in/out with chain.

On how much fits... I have a spare chain and rode in a bucket, maybe you know a hoarder nearby that will let you borrow a their spare chain and rode for a fit test? ha.

What depth and conditions are the max you want to be prepared for? That's probably the most important question as to how much chain/rode you should have...

Comment

I use 50' BBB 1/4" chain and 300' of 1/2" 8 plait rode on my Lewmar Pro 700. Has worked wherever I anchored at which is generally in 25-60' depths. For a 23 I would think 25' of chain and 200' of rode would be ample for most anchoring you will do. Lewmar Pro 700 are limited by the weight of the chain and anchor in lifting it off the sea floor, generally 60' or so max. Your biggest issue will be storing the rode since you have no locker. Would consider removing the V berth and building one and then reinstall your V berth. This will require mods to mattress and berth flooring. Remember to vent the locker like 28's do too.

"What depth and conditions are the max you want to be prepared for? That's probably the most important question as to how much chain/rode you should have..."

Good advice
      Last edited by Bill V; 02-05-2021, 09:09 AM.
      "Joint Venture" '78 midcabin 28, twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

I use 50’ of 5/16”stainless chain and 250’ 5/8” rode in my 28, 33lb anchor and a Lofrans windlass.

I must have the fancy 23’, it has a locker and a vent.
        Would you use a 18lb or 22lb anchor? 10-4 on the 25’ chain and 200’ rode, I think that will work like Bill said.

Good to know that 8 plait works well in the Pro 700, I have read that it does not feed as well as 3 strand.
        I wonder what piles up higher, rode or chain? because of the shallow deck height, my goal is to have it lay in as flat as possible.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Appella; 02-05-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Good catch, forgot about that limitation! "Lewmar Pro 700 are limited by the weight of the chain and anchor"-I vaguely remember going heavier duty on the windlass with that in mind.

I would say chain piles up less based on my slip neighbor buying my shorter chain from me when I went longer. He had to hand feed the rode he had nearly continuously(3 strand so doesn't fall as nice as 8 plait would though), when he replaced with all chain he only had to knock the pile over once during loading. Totally different boat, but a pile is a pile.

If you expect to "usually" only use (for example) ~80', I would pack most of your rode to the sides to give you better fall during most use.

What flavor anchor are you using? I would get a new gen- mantus/rocna/etc, and just go by their recommendation. I have a rocna vulcan and have had to snub off and motor pretty hard to get it out of mud. I read a funny recommendation on anchor sizing: Go buy anchor, hang it on the boat and see if anyone laughs. If no one laughs, go get a bigger anchor. Repeat until you get laughed at, sleep well...

Sidenote: dang that green buffed out sharp! Every time you post more pictures of this thing I drool a little.

Comment

I use a Lewmar Claw 15kg/33lb anchor and carry another Lewmar Claw 7.5kg/16lb anchor for a spare or stern use on 25' chain and 100' of 3 strand 1/2". On a 23 I would use a 22# anchor. Sometimes when retreaving the anchor and it gets to the splice I have to step on windlass guide bar to give it more traction while passing the splice. Other then that, 8 plait works very well. My boat came with the Lewmar Claw 7.5kg/16lb as OEM install on a manual windlass. Hard to believe someone thought it was big enough.
            Last edited by Bill V; 02-05-2021, 02:04 PM.
            "Joint Venture" '78 midcabin 28, twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Ok, here is what I ordered;

Lewmar Pro 700 windlass $600

Lewmar bow roller for Delta anchors. $175

Polished Delta style SS 22lb anchor. $250

28' G-4 1/4" stainless chain $130

200' 1/2" 8 plait rode. not ordered yet, still looking.

I went with a delta style anchor, I have one on the 28 and am very happy with it.

Comment

Are you sure "28' G-4 1/4" stainless chain" is correct chain. Mine has the BBB gypsy.

Comment

Looks like the pro 700 comes with a dual gypsy now.
                  I purchased 300’ of USA made 3 strand, like Mike suggested, (thanks Mike) I can push the rhode aside as I will be anchoring shallow mostly, but have reserve for Puget Sound.

*Update* seller of the stainless chain cancelled my order.
                  Because of the high cost of stainless chain, I am now looking for 100ft 1/4” G-4 galvanized, and will weld on 4’ of stainless behind the anchor for cosmetic purposes.
                  Also looking for 8 plait, but seems to be hard to find without chain. Most rode/chain packages seem to come with 15’ of galvanized.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Appella; 02-06-2021, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Rather than mess with welding, what about a canvas windlass cover that also covers the chain if the galvy isn’t dressy enough for you. I’m thinking Velcro or snaps around the exposed chain to the anchor? A canvas cover helps seal the chain hawse through the deck anyway.

When I bought chain I just went through defender, was very competitive and peace of mind knowing chain quality is worth a lot.

Comment

Thanks for the Defender tip Mike, they seem to have great prices.

I bit the bullet, 100’ stainless chain ( smooth through the gypsy also does not pile on itself) and 200’ 8 plait from Defender.

Most anchoring here never exceeds 20’, so I will mostly be on chain, when I travel elsewhere, I will have 200’ rode to back me up. I tried to cancel the 300’ of 3 strand, but too late. I’m sure I could use it for a stern tie or something.

My idea of welding stainless chain to the galvanized chain might save a few boat bucks just for bling, but I would rather sleep at night.

Comment

Always happy to help others spend money! I’ve really liked the “excessive” amount of chain. My 28 has 180’... haha. The rode is there if I need it, but it’s never been wet.

Comment

Erik: You are going to put 100' of chain and 200' of rode in that anchor locker in the pic?
                          300’ of 3 strand for a stern tie? Living in Utah, boating on lakes, and you even think of a stern tie? Even on a 28 300’ of 3 strand for a stern tie is not going to happen more then once after you find out how much work it is to drag it all back in wet.

Mike: You really carry 180' of chain? How much rode?
                          Last edited by Bill V; 02-06-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Bill, I pulled out 300’ of 1/2” braided old line, it was still in there in that pic. 100’ of chain is 70 lbs, 200’ line is 20lbs. If 100’ of chain proves to be too much, I will cut it down and sell the extra.

Lake Powell it is suggested you should have 300’ of rode when exploring and camping, shore tie is used on Powell as well.

On my 28’, when I travel north, I carry 500 feet of 1/2” floating line, mounted on a crank spool that clips into the stern ladder rails. Retrieval takes me seconds vs minutes.

I probably won’t carry the 3 strand as a stern tie, it was a thought as what to do with the non returnable line. You interested? I bet you have the extra room on joint Venture. 😉

Comment

Sure do. I forget how much rode, I think 150-200’? Plus a spare 40’ chain and 150 rode stuffed in the corner of the locker. I did extend the locker, but I’m considering removing the spare from the boat along with the danforth also stowed up forward.

The general trend of chain/rode selection I found on forums was to go long on chain, and didn’t hear many regrets. I read it on the internet so it must be true! Ha...

Comment

Working...
                              X