Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercruiser shift interrupt adjustment

Hi y’all,
    One of the reasons I was looking to go Volvo on my 23’ re-power is the dreaded shift interrupt problems on Mercruisers.
    I ended up going Mercruiser anyway, and go figure, I cannot seem to get the engine to shift reliably without dying.
    very frustrating when docking or putting it on he trailer.
    Any advice for getting the adjustment dialed in? It’s the only thing I hate about Mercruiser, and has been a headache with every Mercruiser Alpha I have owned.
    All cables are new, as well as the engine. This engine also has the newer style shift assist piston on the cable junction, which I thought remedied the problem.

normally it is a stiff intermediate cable that is the culprit, did you change the cables? or dealer?
    1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...stance-plunger

some good reading,
      1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!
        I replaced all the cables myself. I bought a transom kit from a guy on EBay, U-Joint boot did not fit, gimble bearing already starting to growl. Makes me wonder if the intermediate cable that came with it is junk as well.
        Next week I will be pulling the drive to check alignment, maybe I should order an OEM cable and replace it.

Great link BTW, Thank You, looks like I routed my shift cable on the wrong side of the Y pipe. Maybe causing friction.
        Last edited by Appella; 09-27-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

get oem for sure

Comment

Update to the stalling and growling.
            Like Dave suggested, as for the stalling, the cable was routed wrong, and I pinched it between the Y pipe and bell housing.
            Also, the sift shaft bushing seal was leaking water into the cable housing where it screws into the bell, that would of trashed it soon anyway.

As for the gimble bearing growl, turns out I am a complete moron, I forgot to install the main rubber gasket on the outdrive, so the u-joint cavity was full of water.
            luckily I caught it early and the new u-joints were ok, flushed them with lots of grease.

I replaced everything with Mercruiser parts, now I just need the snow to go away so I can test drive!

Comment

Originally posted by Appella View Post
              Update to the stalling and growling.
              Like Dave suggested, as for the stalling, the cable was routed wrong, and I pinched it between the Y pipe and bell housing.
              Also, the sift shaft bushing seal was leaking water into the cable housing where it screws into the bell, that would of trashed it soon anyway.

As for the gimble bearing growl, turns out I am a complete moron, I forgot to install the main rubber gasket on the outdrive, so the u-joint cavity was full of water.
              luckily I caught it early and the new u-joints were ok, flushed them with lots of grease.

I replaced everything with Mercruiser parts, now I just need the snow to go away so I can test drive!
              everything should be happy now

Comment

Working...
              X