Carburetor vs TBI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetor vs TBI

I am considering replacing my current Quadrajet carb with a Throttle body injection system, has anyone tried or been involved with one of these swaps?

My Edelbrock 650 Marine has been flawless over the last four years.

Comment

Ditto on the Edelbrock. That’s the first thing I replaced when I bought my boat. Quadrajets are not worth rebuilding and the Edelbrock, you essentially set it and its done.
      1978 17' Runabout - AQ120B/270
      1978 23' Cuddy

Comment

All I did was hook mine up as it was pre calibrated. Can't remember price but it was reasonable.

Comment

I just went through my 750 CFM Weber, essentially a 1410 Edelbrock Performer. Pretty easy to do. I may have been chasing ghosts as I was trying to improve a off idle transition that was annoying when trolling. I guess the reason I say this as that may be the only reason to go to TBI on a old boat/motor. Once a carb is set they start fine and work fine and easy to fix and or relatively cheap to replace. FI requires a O2 sensor, so some mannie/riser change/work. likely some wiring and maybe some wiring to the helm. I just dont believe there is a huge advantage to go thru the trouble to convert. If I replaced the power package with a FI or bought a newer boat than sure I would want it. I think the Edelbrock is probably a better carb than a Q-jet, but that is just a personal opinion.... What is the cost when said and done for TBI...?
          1982 2580 "HI-BOY " IN 2 DEEP 5.7LX ALPHA

Comment

Working...
          X