Volvo 280 GURU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo 280 GURU

My 1978 23' GP "REEL FAST" needs some outdrive work done as it has quite a bit of slop at some of the pivot points. The gear lube stays very clean and the gears seem very tight. So who North of Seattle is Da Man when it comes to Volvo 280 AQ repairs???

When our 28' was powered with 280's, the guy who owned Mercer Marine was for sure a Volvo guru. Mercer had the highest shop rate though, their services didn't come cheap. Have NO idea if they're still in business or what their status is since it's been a few years since we had volvo's. I believe his (the owners) name was Mark. Among other things, Mercer tightened our 280's up since they were getting a lot of slop as yours are. Side note, we kept losing a prop (can't recall which side) GlasHawk can attest to one such loss, and could not figure out why. Mark figured it out immediately without even looking at the unit, we were sold after that. Otherwise, we can't find anyone who's not only competent, or isn't 6 months (or both) out to work our our current installs or systems... pretty frustrating actually. 2 cents worth...or less.

Comment

Noluck? Any Ideas? Dave is a great sounding board, my bet is he could do it, or knows someone who is a Volvo Guru.

Comment

Originally posted by Appella View Post
        Noluck? Any Ideas? Dave is a great sounding board, my bet is he could do it, or knows someone who is a Volvo Guru.
        lol, already plan to go give a hand
        1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

YES!!!

I am very happy to have Dave's help on this.

Comment

got it apart and found the worn parts, will be ready for reassembly very soon, super clean volvo drive on the boat and no broken bolts
            1980 2400 Cuddy I/O, 2017 Cummins 4BT coupled to a Volvo DP-SM with F9 Props, and a 2014 Mercury 15HP Pro-Kicker "LOOSE CHANGE"

Comment

I was planning to reuse the shift cable but someone is telling me of all the GOOD reasons I would replace it.

I was really happy the U joints looked like they came out of the box. Very smooth and flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
                I was planning to reuse the shift cable but someone is telling me of all the GOOD reasons I would replace it.

I was really happy the U joints looked like they came out of the box. Very smooth and flexible.
                I could give you $23,000 worth of GOOD reasons not to reuse...but to replace it...

Comment

Very fortunate the outdrive is in really good condition overall.

The splines are made of aluminum and were worn causing a lot of steering slop. Instead of buying a used fork I cut a slit in the end of the steering arm and it tightened up nicely!

Comment

Heard noluck may have problems getting across the border so I had my Machinist friend help me re install. Looks great and seems to be MUCH tighter now. I used all Volvo Penta parts, IMHO worth every EXTRA $$$.

Thank you Dave for all your help!!!!!!!

Comment

looks good

Comment

Looks like I bought the wrong steering fork shaft seal. So now I get to RnR the outdrive this Spring as Reel Fast is put away for the Winter. Splash Of Lime has taken it's place in front of the shop until my Son can come and get it.

You should not be able to see the black bushing above the light colored seal. Glad I noticed or I would have salt water coming thru.

Last edited by Cummins12V98; 10-26-2022, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X