Gelcoat repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gelcoat repair

With looking at firing off my engine either tonight or tomorrow, I am turning my thoughts towards the Gelcoat repairs needed. One spot is about an inch to inch and a half around, and will need a putty consistancy to fill before I will spray over the top of it for a nice finish. The other spot is about 3' long and an inch wide at the bow from beaching the boat (previous owner). I have been looking around and found the following items for the project.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...utral+Gelcoats

I figure start neutral and blend from there?

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...oloring+Agents

Would prefer a color kit rather than by the bottle...can anyone recommend one?

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...lloidal+Silica

To make past for deeper patch...

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...+Resin+Thinner

To thin mix for spraying...

and some basic instructions,
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...t.do?docId=257

along with Tim's thread on Gelcoat on the site here.
    http://www.glasply.org/vb4/showthrea...-from-a-pro%29

Any advice and tips you all have on the process, and the materials would be greatly appreciated.
    Will Riddle
    Everett, WA.

Confidence is what you feel before you truly understand the situation...

I know that this was on the old site, but iBoats has Spectrum Color gel coat premixed in some Glasply colors - http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Gel-Coat-...0gel%20%20coat

GLASPY WHITE 92-94
    GLASPY BLUE 92-94
    GLASPLY BEIGE 86-87
    GLASPLY CRANBERRY 86-87
    GLASPLY GREY 86-87
    GLASPLY ICEBERG WHITE 80-85
    GLASPLY WHITE 86-87
    GLASPLY BROWN 77

Might be easier to start with something that is pretty close to the correct color...

Bill V posted on the old site that B&J Fiberglass in Bellingham was able to match his gel coat exactly. I also seem to remember that they were much less than Spectrum Color - of course Bellingham is a bit of a drive from Everett.
    Deep-V

To argue with someone who has abandoned reason, is like giving medicine to a dead man
    Thomas Paine

Comment

The problem with a custom match or an order from Spectrum is that you'd have to order in quantities far greater than he'd need.

I posted the link to Boatworks Today where Andy Miller walked his viewers through the process of color-matching gelcoat using only 4 colors to make pretty much any shade needed, along with what looked like very simple (though somewhat tedious perhaps) steps on getting it dialed in. This for a quantity needed for the amount of touch-up repairs that Will is talking about.

As for thickened filler material, Will, I have some gelcoat paste (neutral color) that I used to fill all 152 above-waterline holes holes in Chopstick. It's getting pretty old and dried out in some spots, but there's still plenty enough to do some repairs, though I'm not sure of the quality of it as it's a couple years old by now and sitting in a half-used container.

You might be better off to pick up a quart of plain old white gelcoat and some filler material (Cabosil or such) and the 4 colors, then mix the colors to match, then add the filler to thicken it up (touching up the color if needed), then have that in a quart container to use to do my patchwork. That could then be used to fill cracks where the gelcoat has broken off (particularly along your keel from beachings which is what I used the stuff for), fill small holes, etc. Probably wouldn't cost you more than $40 or so, I would imagine.
      -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
      1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
      1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

Comment

I was actually thinking about gel coat paste, but I just looked on the Spectrum Color site and the Glasply colors (other than gallons) are now discontinued.
        Deep-V

To argue with someone who has abandoned reason, is like giving medicine to a dead man
        Thomas Paine

Comment

If the areas are deep, wide or big I wouldn't just fill it in with paste. It will eventually crack. Lay some fiberglass in there to build it back up. Sand smooth and use the gelcoat paste or regular gelcoat to finish it off.
          1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
          1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
          8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

Good point. I was referring to smallish areas where the gelcoat has chipped off and is revealing the underlaying fibers, with no damage to the fibers. Regular gelcoat would just run, so the paste would be needed.
            -- Tim Taylor

Comment

My comment was not aimed at you or your comment Binford. I just want to put that out there that you should only be putting a skim coat of gelcoat or gelcoat filler, it's not a cure all. If the damage is beyond the gelcoat then fiberglass should be used to build it back up and to retain the strength.
              1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
              1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
              8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

Yep, that's how I took it to mean. Just replacement of the chipped gelcoat, not a repair of the fibers beyond that. Except for filling holes such as old screw holes above the water line in which case I have found the gelcoat paste to work fine.
                -- Tim Taylor

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the great information guys! The deep patch I was talking about is down to the fiberglass, but did not dig into the fiberglass...just removed the gelcoat down to the fiberglass. If weather holds tonight I will get a pic of it and post it. After all the reading based on all the input from this thread, I have decided to go with the quart of white gelcoat, and do the color matching/mixing myself. I will get the cabosil to make the filler putty mix , and some thinner to allow for spraying for other areas...(a PO did gelcoat repair on back corner with iceberg white...but my boat is an oyster white so it really sticks out).
                  Will Riddle
                  Everett, WA.

Confidence is what you feel before you truly understand the situation...

Comment

Working...
                  X