Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 19' Hardtop cuddy transom and floor repair....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 19' Hardtop cuddy transom and floor repair....

haven't been on the forum in a while. bummed to see it get hacked, lost a lot of good information for nothing. i'm going to start working on my 19' hardtop cuddy, it has a bad transom and a soft floor. i've known it for some time, just haven't been using the boat, it's parked in my shop out of the weather so no more damage is being done.

i started the repair today. i figured out the transom was bad a couple years ago, just didn't do anything. haven't been using the boat anyway. looks like at a minimum it's a new transom core and glass, and floor. don't know how far forward on the floor yet. it does have foam core stringers, that helps.

the whole transom core was soft. it was worse at the bottom, and at the sides. being wet at the sides didn't make sense, but i am going to see if i can figure out where the water was getting in, just to know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0553.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	55143
    Last edited by montejw360; 12-07-2014, 08:19 PM.

the floor is gone too....

Name:	20141207_195710[1].jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	51607

Name:	20141207_152003[1].jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	51608

Comment

I found that water doesn't actually penetrate the cells of the foam, for the most part. It really just fills the voids between the cells.

I am going to drill some large holes between the stringers in Chopstick as far aft as I can put them, then scrape out a bit of the foam in that area. Then I'll jack the tongue of the trailer up so the boat is bow-high and the water will percolate its way to the back where I can vacuum it out with my shop vac.

When I pulled out all the wet foam from Chopstick II, I got up to about the cuddy bulkhead and I found that, with the bow high, the water in the foam forward of the bulkhead would slowly work its way back where I was able to vacuum it up. It eventually stopped, so I suspect the foam is pretty much dry up there now.

I point that out in case you wish to avoid having to pull all that old, nasty foam out, since you'd have composite stringers. Dry the foam out, perhaps slather a coating of epoxy over it all, then put on a new sole over it? Just a thought.
      -- Tim Taylor

1979 Glasply 21-foot I/O Overnighter w/ 5.0L Volvo-Penta duoprop (Cardinal)
      1982 Glasply 16-foot runabout w/ 50hp Mercury OB (JV Junior)
      1978 Glasply 19-1/2 foot runabout, project boat (Beer Goggles)

I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

Comment

Originally posted by Binford View Post
        sniped....I point that out in case you wish to avoid having to pull all that old, nasty foam out, since you'd have composite stringers. Dry the foam out, perhaps slather a coating of epoxy over it all, then put on a new sole over it? Just a thought.
        thanks, i'll give that a try. i raise the tongue and see if any water starts migrating aft. might just dig some "test wells" to see what's down there in a few spots.

bummed to see the floor gone all the way up to the cockpit/cuddy bulkhead. did/does your boat have a "shelf" that runs the length of the insides below the gunwale? if so, does the floor go underneath that out to where it would intersect the hull? have to find more pictures of gp's with the floors out.

monte

Comment

Monte, the floor does not go under the flotation boxes. In my experience that flotation box holds a lot of water. I replaced mine when the floor was out. I just cut out the side and left the top, very easy to do.

Comment

My 21' had the floor run all the way to the side of the hull and then the floatation boxes built on top of it. It's a 21 without any foam so it could be a whole different animal. JJC and Binford should know since they both have cut up a 19'. You can kind of see mine in this picture.

1981 Hardtop Cuddy Alaskan Bulkhead Rebuild Thread
            1972 HT Cuddy-Rebuild Thread
            8' 650cc Kawasaki powered dinghy

Comment

Originally posted by jjc23 View Post
              Monte, the floor does not go under the flotation boxes. In my experience that flotation box holds a lot of water. I replaced mine when the floor was out. I just cut out the side and left the top, very easy to do.
              i'll try cutting out the sides first, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by nova7163 View Post
                My 21' had the floor run all the way to the side of the hull and then the floatation boxes built on top of it. It's a 21 without any foam so it could be a whole different animal. JJC and Binford should know since they both have cut up a 19'. You can kind of see mine in this picture.
                sorta see it. should be clear once i dig into it.

Comment

Originally posted by montejw360 View Post
                  thanks, i'll give that a try. i raise the tongue and see if any water starts migrating aft. might just dig some "test wells" to see what's down there in a few spots.
                  That's a good way to describe it too! "Test wells." Hollow out the foam down to the inside of the hull and water should percolate into the "well" where you can vacuum it out each day until it no longer flows. By then it should be pretty much dried out.

My sole still feels pretty solid. There are a couple soft spots though, but not enough to justify tearing it all out at this point. The "wells" drilled at the aft of the sole should do the trick, then I'll cover them with those round plastic access hatches.

And I concur with the others....where the outer edge of the sole meets the hull is where the bottom of those side boxes meet. The box wall is vertical from that point to the shelf, forming a triangle filled with foam. I think Rancher had whacked off the aft end of an I/O 19 to which he was going to attach the aft end of an O/B model. Anyway, I have one of the pictures he took that shows that very well. I'll see if I can find that pic here in a few minutes.

I'll be drilling a hole near the bottom of that shelf box too, but not too close to the bottom or I'd penetrate the side of the hull.
                  -- Tim Taylor

Comment

Anyway, I have one of the pictures he took that shows that very well. I'll see if I can find that pic here in a few minutes.
                    that would be nice to see that picture, thanks.

Comment

My apologies for being so remiss in my duties....

Without further ado:

-- Tim Taylor

Comment

Binford,
                        Nice smooth cut lines on Boat Rancher's boat.
                        The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel that it burns.

1982 28' Long Cabin . SUP paddlers and kayakers transit the harbor with abandon, thinking they have the right of way over all boats.

Comment

nah, it's all good. the pictures make me feel not too bad about hitting the inside of my hull with my multi-tool. just a little repair i'll need to do at some point.

Comment

started digging out the foam between a couple stringers. found some water in a little puddle in one spot. the whole length of the hull had moisture between it and the foam. must have creeped the whole way from wherever it penetrated. the side boxes are rotten, so i'll tear those off. probably tear all the foam out too and just start fresh. need to get all of the rotten wood out, it's still really wet even with the boat sitting in a covered shop for over a year.

Name:	20141229_161123[1].jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	51674

Comment

Without further ado:

hope the side boxes on mine don't go down that far....

Comment

Working...
                              X