Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sea Run - 1986 28' Long Cabin (Upgrades and Restoration)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Run - 1986 28' Long Cabin (Upgrades and Restoration)

1986 Glasply 28' Long Cabin, Flybridge
    Twin MerCruiser 260 (GM 350), counter rotating; original equipment (~1700 hrs)
    Borg Warner V-Drive - 1.5 ratio

I bought this boat in the Fall of 2018 and had it shipped on the ferry from Juneau to Whittier, Alaska in Spring of 2019. The elderly man I bought it from wasn't able to keep up with the maintenance anymore and it was hardly used for the past few years. The hull is in very good shape and the rest of the boat seemed serviceable so I took the gamble knowing I would need to put some work into it.

The first season was a bit disappointing because I had a ton of engine troubles. The miles per gallon for the first couple short trips was atrocious so I had a feeling something was wrong. On the third trip I started noticing a ton of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I still wasn’t sure of the top end speed at this point because there had always been a bit of a chop on the surface. I thought it was a carburetor issue so I replaced the starboard with a re-manufactured one. On the next test run the boat ran a little better but still wouldn’t get over 3000rpm. At that point I decided to do a full tune up and replaced the spark plugs, coil, distributor cap/rotor, and wires for each engine. During this process I discovered that someone had reversed a pair of spark plug wires in that starboard engine. The timing was also way out of whack and it masked the problem. I adjusted the timing at both idle and load. On the next trip out it was like having a new boat. It had so much more power and was so responsive. I couldn’t believe the difference. I was able to cruise at 22mph at 3000rpm. I pushed it to 3500rpm and 28mph which was the best I could do with the weather that day. Ran good and no smoke!

The people on this forum have been amazingly helpful by sharing so much info about their boats. I didn't even have to ask many questions because I could usually just search the previous posts. I want to create this thread of my upcoming projects so that it may help someone else in the future.

Besides the engine work I already completed a few projects last season. I'll dig out some photos and post about those too.

This Spring I have the following projects I will tackle:
    -Water tank removal, cleaning (and possible replacement)
    -Stove top cooker replacement and countertop update
    -Reseal rub rail in two places where it is allowing rain water into the boat
    -Remove engine fresh water cooling seals, inspect/clean reservoir, replace seals
    -Pot and epoxy-fill flybridge floor where I removed a couch and temporary sealed
    -Replace battery charger and batteries
    -Replace engine bilge and float switch
    -Add bilge in front of water tank near bow
    -Install new chartplotter in flybridge and new in-hull transducer
    -Replace house floor carpet with waterproof plank flooring

-Rich
    1986 Glasply 28' long cabin

Well sir, the nice thing about your list of projects is I believe all of us with 28's have already done at least one or more of those projects and posted about them . So you definitely came to the right forum!! Looking forward to seeing some photo's and seeing your updates!

Curious about your performance figures, have you had the bottom cleaned and props looked at? I believe those stock 260's were supposed to run WOT at 4400-4800 rpms. Once you get good weather and things dialed in will be interesting to see where you're at.

Comment

Rich,
      Looks like you got a good one!
      I found mine, "Ocean Fury" about three years ago. The owner had owned it for over 20 years and had it re-powered with twin Volvo Turbo Diesels. When I bought it the new engines had about 400 hours on them. He had also just completely updated all of the interior material. The boat had been kept in a boathouse, so was in pretty darn good condition. These 28' Glasplys are the perfect size boat to enjoy the water, have some great overnight trips and just chill! Good luck on yours!!

Comment

Originally posted by weigh2go View Post
        Curious about your performance figures, have you had the bottom cleaned and props looked at? .
        Yes, I had the bottom scraped and cleaned at the end of last summer. So the previous numbers I mentioned were before that. I haven't done a full trip to determine how much improvement it has made but it is way smoother now. Bill mentioned that I probably have too big of a prop for these engines. (17x15). I'm guessing that at their age they're no longer putting out 260 HP either.

Attaching some before and after pics of bottom paint job and relaunch.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by weigh2go View Post
          Well sir, the nice thing about your list of projects is I believe all of us with 28's have already done at least one or more of those projects and posted about them . So you definitely came to the right forum!! Looking forward to seeing some photo's and seeing your updates!

Curious about your performance figures, have you had the bottom cleaned and props looked at? I believe those stock 260's were supposed to run WOT at 4400-4800 rpms. Once you get good weather and things dialed in will be interesting to see where you're at.
          I agree with Carl...something fishy there. Also, since you got 28 at 3500 RPM I dont think it sounds like your engines are in poor shape at all. Any chance the boat got way heavier since it was propped?

Comment

Originally posted by theremikegoes View Post

I agree with Carl...something fishy there. Also, since you got 28 at 3500 RPM I dont think it sounds like your engines are in poor shape at all. Any chance the boat got way heavier since it was propped?
            It's definitely a pretty damn heavy boat. I had an awful lot of gear on board last year too between shrimp pots, bottom fishing and all the overnighting gear. Also there was something wrong with the water tank and it wouldn't pump anything out. So what I found out this winter was that I was carrying around about 45 gallons of unusable water all summer.

I may ask you guys for some more engine tips after I get it launched later in May. I'm hoping that what I did last year has it tuned up correctly. The season ended before I had a chance to really test it on flat water.

The water tank is unnecessarily large on this boat, 53 gallons aluminum. that is my current project, I need to see whether it's possible to put a inspection port in it and clean it or replace with plastic tank. The problem with where I'm at is that there are very few tanks that will fit in that space available and shipping a tank is very expensive. My plan is to cut the hole near the discharge hose and see if there is a blockage and how dirty it is inside.

Comment

Based on ¨22mph at 3000rpm¨ and ¨3500rpm and 28mph¨ I think that is pretty close to the mark with 17x15 props. I ran those props with a semi cup with my 350 Crusaders 300hp engines for years. I notice you have a lot of ¨sail¨ to push threw the air. You may have to reduce the pitch to 17x14 or 13 to get your WOT to 4500. 28 long cabins with fiberglass arch and upper deck full enclosures are heavier then the mid cabins like mine by close to 800-1000 pounds.

¨The water tank is unnecessarily large on this boat, 53 gallons aluminum¨
              Wonder what you would say about my 65 gallon water tank.
              "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

The water tank is unnecessarily large on this boat, 53 gallons aluminum. that is my current project, I need to see whether it's possible to put a inspection port in it and clean it or replace with plastic tank. The problem with where I'm at is that there are very few tanks that will fit in that space available and shipping a tank is very expensive. My plan is to cut the hole near the discharge hose and see if there is a blockage and how dirty it is inside.
                LOL, Had our aluminum tank taken out an expanded to almost 80 gallons (we also have a LC). Found out the hard way that the people who did the extension on the tank did a poor job and the welds on the bottom of the tank are leaking, or so I suspect. Then took on a load of "mud" at either Nanaimo or Campbell River...yuk! So now I built a pre filter using an large RV canister filter that attaches to the hose prior to filling. And, I'm currently in the process of pulling the tank during my "social isolation" faze and having a local shop build a new one...
                Last edited by Binford; 05-04-2020, 09:53 PM. Reason: Binford here: Fixed the quote.

Comment

There is a plastic tank many of us have used (I used 2) My aluminum had so much corrosion sludge it wouldn’t drain either.

heres the plastic tank(33 gallons):
                  https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F193391224936

edit: that’s a bummer Carl, are you still using aluminum and have you looked into having a custom plastic made?

Comment

I'm just curious, has anyone tried using a water bladder instead of an aluminum or plastic tank? They are reasonably priced nowadays and would address shipping and space issues.
                    They civilize left, they civilize right, 'til nothing is left and nothing is right. (Ben Rumson)

Comment

That 33 gallon tank would be perfect but it says they don't ship to Alaska. I sent an email an offered to pay extra for the shipping. Will see what they say. Bill, that is a lot of water! We got used to conserving it with my old boat that only took about 28gal. I don't mind a bigger one because I wouldn't have to fill it. But I also have a water heater that is about 6 gal; that plus the 33 gal tank is enough.

I did some research on the bladders and it sounds like many of them end up leaking. Because my water is installed under the floor with very difficult access I didn't want to take that chance. They are also pretty expensive compared to the standard type.

Comment

Originally posted by Arne K View Post
                        I'm just curious, has anyone tried using a water bladder instead of an aluminum or plastic tank? They are reasonably priced nowadays and would address shipping and space issues.
                        I've looked at many and have not found any that make sense for the spaces available. If someone finds a larger one that fits way up forward in a 28 I'd love to hear about it.

Comment

Got the beast out and cut her open. Doesn't look too bad inside the first section. Because of the baffles I'll have to make three inspection ports but I think it's worth just cleaning and putting back in service.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kisutch View Post
                            Got the beast out and cut her open. Doesn't look too bad inside the first section. Because of the baffles I'll have to make three inspection ports but I think it's worth just cleaning and putting back in service.
                            I totally agree, and it appears your tank sits in the centerline compartment too as does mine. Might be a good time to install a sending unit for a tank level guage. I used WEMA USA but I see now they are KUS products. https://kus-usa.com/product-category...tation/analog/ Use 1 for water and 4 for fuel tanks levels. Very well made and reasonable in price.
                            "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Looks like a nice product Bill, thanks for the link. I'm going to order one.

Comment

Working...
                              X