Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

2020 Glasply Rendezvous is canceled
See more
See less

Seeking specifications for keel bunk height for GP 28 V-Drive trailer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking specifications for keel bunk height for GP 28 V-Drive trailer.

GP aficionados, I am attempting to mate my 28 Long Cabin V-drive to a recently acquired triple axle adjustable trailer. Does any one have a diagram or measurements of the outer bunk and keel support bunk location / heights? I am particularly interested in the height of the keel bunks to provide sufficient clearance for the props. I am hoping to ramp retrieve my 28 and would imagine that the forward keel rests on the forward keel bunk on the trailer with the gunnels being guided by the side guides. The boat would then settle on to the rear upper and keel bunks as the boat is pulled out of the water. The keel bunks would have to be pretty beefy- especially up front. I was thinking of using lapped and doubled 2"X6"s for all bunks. It looks like I may have to modify the rear cross-member on my trailer to accommodate the prop shafts. Does anyone have a V-Drive diagram with measurements? I hope to dive my boat (again) soon to get accurate measurements on the V-Drive shaft / prop location as well as certain hull measurements. Forgot my goggles on my last dive expedition and my drysuit leaked. I'll try to make a diagram for the forum...

On my 1978 28 mid Cabin V-drive I have it on a custom built trailer designed for V-drive boats. My boat is on the trailer now and I can shoot some pics and dimensions. I use double stacked 2 x 6 treated boards with sling cutouts and carpeted for keel support. I have 3 adjustable 18 inch square support pads on each side to keep boat level and supported at chines. You are correct, you will need to cut out part of your trailer for shaft and rudder clearance. I can take all sorts of measurements and pics of trailer in about 3 weeks when boat is in the water.
    "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Bill, I will try to get may act together and then ask you some very specific questions about your V-drive 28 trailer specs.

Comment

In looking at my trailer today I see that I have no framework for the last 8ft of trailer. My boat is scheduled to be dunked May 15. Can shoot pics and get measurements then.
        "Joint Venture" 1978 midcabin 28', twin 2017 Vortec roller cam "bullet proof" 383/6.3L full roller 350hp engines - You name it, I've either replaced it, restored it, rebuilt it, repainted it or repaired it. That's my job now that I'm retired.

Comment

Bill,

Hope you splashed your boat on May 15. Did you happen to take any measurements? Interested in the outer bunk height and particularly the keel bunk height (off the ground). Knowing the keel bunk height will tell me what is needed for ground clearance and I can do the math on the upper bunk height. Just sent a message to my steel fabricator buddy who recently shortened and made narrower another friends full keel sailboat trailer. Sad to learn that he has moved out of the region. Time to find another portable fab guy who gets it- not so easy.

I can achieve a hull height of 24" (on sides of keel) with a custom (one piece) 4 1/2 inch block mounted to existing brackets on my trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200430_132902444_HDR.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	605.1 KB
ID:	67406

Something like this

Name:	IMG_6042.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	67409

I will definitely have to modify my rear cross member to accommodate the shafts and props.
          Was thinking of making a prop protecting rear cross member like a ski boat trailer.

Name:	IMG_20200430_135634409.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	654.9 KB
ID:	67407

Attached Files

Comment

Did not splash the boat on May 15th, scheduled this Friday 22nd for the launch. Will get all the pics and measurements then.

Comment

I'm definitely interested in how your trailer and bunks are configured as well. Found a triple axle heavy duty equipment trailer that I'm dismantling and putting back together. Would certainly help to incorporate some of your design, placement of bunks, measurements etc.

Comment

Name:	GP 28 V Drive Stern Specs..jpg
Views:	19
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	67750

These are my best (really cold) underwater measurement. Wish I'd measured the keel depth.. . Think is might be 6"

On the really cold front, my daughter left a dock line in the water after jumping in and it sucked it got sucked into the port side prop while my wife was at the helm and I was on the bow trying to get our plow anchor dislodged from the mud. After spending several frigid minutes under the boat with a kitchen knife we had port side propulsion again. Back to the anchor- had to tie off the taught anchor line and gingerly power forward to get the plow off the bottom. My plow anchor has 2 super heavy duty "quick release" zip ties securing the line which are supposed to break when the anchor is stuck to allow the anchor to be pulled out backwards. Even with fairly significant force the zip ties never broke free... Using two heavy duty HVAC zip ties are too much. Guess I'll have to cut one loose.

Here's a video about zip tie sizing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ-yfqq1qvg

Comment

Boat splashed today. Seaview's 30 ton crane was broke down and still is. I finally took boat to Blaine to be splashed. Cost $304 as compared to my usual Seaview cost of $150. Will shoot pics tomorrow and measurements.

Comment

Here are some pics that I hope helps you. Frame width is approx. 7 ft 6 in. Inboard prop frame "knotch" is approx 4 ft 6 in. Click image for larger version  Name:	T7_1008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.2 KB ID:	67773Click image for larger version  Name:	T8_1009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.1 KB ID:	67774Click image for larger version  Name:	T3_1004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.5 KB ID:	67775Click image for larger version  Name:	T2_1003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.7 KB ID:	67776Click image for larger version  Name:	T1_1002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.3 KB ID:	67777Click image for larger version  Name:	T6_1007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.6 KB ID:	67778Click image for larger version  Name:	T9_1010.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.0 KB ID:	67779Click image for larger version  Name:	T4_1005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.0 KB ID:	67780Click image for larger version  Name:	T5_1006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.1 KB ID:	67781

Comment

Bill, Thanks for the great pictures. Unusual trailer design. Replied a while back but apparently it did not go through. Just now trying to dig in on the modification of my trailer.

Comment

Working...
                      X